The Horse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a white horse(Steppin) and a roan bay horse (Princess) I show them in western pleasure english and showmanship. The problem is they they roll and run in the mud and are a mess all the time :-(! They are light colored and I can never get them clean! Their legs are the worst. Any tips would be great!

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
You may just have to try to give them a good sponge bath the day of the show. Then rug them, as they won't be turned back out anyway.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
ah, I had this problem with a dappled grey pinto I showed my first year ever dealing with horses.We washed her the day before show, and she thought it would be fun to roll. We had to bathe her early in the morning the day of show and then tie her up until it was time to take her to the fairgrounds.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
QUIC SILVER!!!!!!!! I worship with stuff, lol!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Cowboy Magic makes a product called Green Spot Remover and it works really well....I have a light dapple gray, so I have used it myself.

It requires no rinsing and is simple to use. Found it to work well on the legs as they seem to pick up stains quickly.

Might want to give it a try. :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
My guys are always disgusting before shows. We normally get to the barn a couple of hours before the show that way we can wash them, and then just tie them up to the trailer to dry out.

Now if we are riding in a rodeo, we normally bathe them before we haul them. Let them air dry, then load them and once again keep them tied to the trailer

·
Registered
375 Posts
my friends have a grey horse and i know that you dont ever ever want to wash it with water if its a poop or pee stain b/c it settles the stain into the hair and is a circus to get out...the best stuff is to take a rag and put it over a very very stiff brush and brush like you've never brushed before..and once that it gets out most of it vineagar works really well..if you dont mind the smell, and toothpaste lol it all helps....hope this helps you :)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
my friends have a grey horse and i know that you dont ever ever want to wash it with water if its a poop or pee stain
I always wash my mares (shes a paint) staines out with water, without a problem. Ive tried brushing with a towel, and all i got was a longer streak of stain.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
You do wash with water, and a shampoo, that get's stains out of my mares coat fine, and doesn't rub it in.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
With Romeo (Pure white horse) I bathe him the day of the show, and then showsheen him, the showsheen keeps the dust/dirt off of him a lot better than just letting the water do it... Maybe try that??

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have pinto who gets disgusting and the day before a show I give her a bath. Now I do the scrubbing method. First buy one of those plastic horse bathing scrubby things. They i find work the best. Now when you bath your horse and are just getting them wet srub them and get some of the dirt off. next lay on the soap. I just run a line of soap from poll to point of buttocks and scrub it in. Next i have rinse it out and srub some more and finally i srub while rinsing. I do this on both sides and legs and my mare is always clean. I always showsheen her then wait for her to dry, blanket her, and finally put her in an enclosed lean-to for the night. hope this helps. This method has never failed me!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts