The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a grade horse? : A Grade horse is a horse whose parentage is unknown, unidentifiable, or of significantly mixed breeding. Grade horses do not have registration papers, and often have a lot of quarter horse in them and take on many of the same wonderful personality characteristics that breed is known for. (*This is random info I found online. No hating please!)

Show off your grades! Here is my boy Murray, a Tb x Qh mix and a very fun gelding to have as my first horse!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Lol No hating, but a grade horse isnt always necessarily a quarter horse, nor are they necessarily mixed. We had 2 grade gaited horses. A tennessee walking horse and a rocky mountain. Although, the tennessee walking horses's parentage wasnt known, we did know he was a tennessee walker. We did know the parentage of the rocky but he wasnt registered because he was a gelding, so it was no fault of his own.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol No hating, but a grade horse isnt always necessarily a quarter horse, nor are they necessarily mixed. We had 2 grade gaited horses. A tennessee walking horse and a rocky mountain. Although, the tennessee walking horses's parentage wasnt known, we did know he was a tennessee walker. We did know the parentage of the rocky but he wasnt registered because he was a gelding, so it was no fault of his own.
Thanks for pointing that out. I like learning about grades. I was clueless on them when I first heard about Murray. Thanks! =]

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
how come he wasnt registered?, my horse is registered the AHS and he is a gelding :?

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Even if you know for a fact that both parents were registered to a particular breed, if there are no papers that ever existed or were lost and being impossible (for whatever reason) to be duplicated, the horse would be sold as a grade. You may give all the explanation to a prospective buyer that you want but ... no registration papers to a breed = grade horse. There are "boutique" registries such as Pinto Horse, or Palomino Horse, etc but those are color registries and really doesn't add value to a horse.

In any case, my palomino, Hollywood, is a grade. I have no idea of his breeding whatsoever.

Horse Mammal Vertebrate Mane Pasture

Horse Vertebrate Mammal Mane Mare

Horse Bridle Mammal Halter Rein

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Hehe, all my horses have been grade purebreds. I always thought it was weird..

Rocky, grade Rocky Mountain Horse (pretty sure is was because he is under the height limit)

Buddy, grade QH, if he was ever registered god knows what happened to the papers, but I sorta doubt he was

Kainne, grade TB, no clue why he was never registered but he wasn't..

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Major is a grade, most people believe that he is at least half if not full welsh cob though. He is the sweetest horse I have ever met, lets you do anything you want around him and has the cutest little personality. He always has this look in his eyes like he knows something you don't.

His "give me cookie" face

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
here are all of the horses at our place. they are ALL grade! you can't ride papers so who needs em!

pictures 1&2 are of Baby my Mustang Cross mix
3&4 are Carmen a QH cross something or another
5&6 is Kitty our Pinto idk what pony cross or small horse or something
7 is Chief a tennesse walking horse we think
8 is Snowflake an Appaloosa
and 9&10 is Sparta (snowflakes son) he is an appaloosa QH cross

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
Cricket is a grade. We think she's an appendix mix. I just call her my mutt head.

Great horses everyone!

·
Registered
267 Posts
My first horse :)

12 year old (at the time) grade QH/TWH cross. Non-gaited. She was a neglect case. The people that owned her didnt take very good care of her. Divorce situation. So, all we knew was that she was a twh/qh. She was an excellent trail horse, non spooky. I could do anything with her XD

Her name was Sam. XD

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
My boys are both grade. I have often thought about reg. them in the color reg ABRA and Pinto. Maybe I will ,but at any rate I love them to pieces:)

**iridehorses: Hollywood is gorgeous, I love his color and that mane is to die for ***

Attachments

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Thank you RadHenry! That is the name he came with and he sure lives up to it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
For Rocky Mountain Horses to be Grade, they are registared with the Rocky Mountain Horse Association, when only one parent is, or can be proved to be a Registared, and Certified to Breed Rocky Mountain. Grade Mares used to be quite common in the RMHA, but now the books for grade mares have been closed. i.e. breed a Kentucky Mountain Mare to a Rocky Mountain Stud and get a mare, thats a RMHA Grade Mare, breed that Grade Mare to a Rocky Mountain Stud, get a mare, its a Full Rocky Mountain. However any colt out of a Grade Mare MUST BE GELDED to Certify with the RMHA. To certify a stud with the RMHA it MUST be out of two Full Rocky Mountain Horses. Sadly we can't do that anymore with mares, but geldings can still register as 'Foundation Geldings' but the price is quite high, and geldings do not produce...We only reg. our geldings with the RMHA if they have show potential, all the others get KY Mtn. We have 2 mares that are Certified To Breed Rocky Mountain Grade, take a chance on them having a filly, and she is full, and if they have a colt just gotta geld it, nothing wrong with them IMO.

Nate

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.