The Horse Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be some good things to do/work on while warming up your horse before a show? I am taking my new horse to his first show in April (it's just a schooling show) but I still want to be really prepared and have him ready beforehand.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Depends on what you're showing in.

To start I do several laps both directions at all three gaits. Then, if I am entered in a pattern class, I will do all the pieces of that pattern just to be sure my buttons are working right. If it's a rail class, I just do a lot of circles. Also depends on the horse too. Selena immediately gets a ton of counter arc circles and flexing instead of laps because she needs a LOT of brain work before physical work or she will toss you.

Reactions: DrumRunner

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Then yeah. Go into the warmup pen, do your laps, and really reinforce your horse being framed up and moving with the lightest cue. Then go to the center and do your circles. Still press all your buttons though to be sure they work. ;D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.