The Horse Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi as of a few months ago I bought a 14.2ish 11yr old colored mare, as she is a rescue we are unsure of full breeding she is on the finner side of things but still a bit chunky. we are planning on doing a few shows ridden/in-hand and as I have only done one show and that was a fun yard show where it didn't really matter, I would just like some advice on what tack to put on her/should she be plaited or not, what clothes I should wear, and if that changes depending on what classes I enter. thank you in advance for all your help.

pictures of the said mare
Horse Working animal Liver Horse supplies Bridle
Horse Working animal Liver Fawn Grass

:

·
Premium Member
9,945 Posts
She is a sweetie. But tack, clothes and the horse's appearance all heavily depend on the type of classes you will be entering. Each is drastically different. It might be best to spend a bit of time riding her in different disciplines to see what she is good at and what you like before buying tack and show clothes.

Dressage, hunter, jumpers, all have different rules, and things are done differently from one country to another. Some of our UK members can probably give good advice, but you should also be working with a coach who can advise you on what shows you should enter and how you should look.

·
Super Moderator
17,450 Posts
Is your show English discipline or western?

Makes a difference in western showmanship or English model classes....

As for you, the handler....
Your attire needs to be appropriate too.
Western, you wear western styled clothes, hat and boots.
English....well, my attire would be tall boots, breeches, appropriate shirt, hair up and neatly in a net, riding jacket on and black gloves. Possibly required to wear your helmet with harness clipped shut.

English model my horse would be plaited and clipped face of extra long hairs but depending upon rules of the show you may need to leave muzzle hairs a certain length.
Bridle-path clipped neatly, ears neatened but I do not whistle clean all the hairs gone.
A fitted bridle to emphasize the pretty of the head. Depending upon how the rules are written either a special handlers shank with twin snaps to bit rings or you use your reins.
Western would be about the same appearance wanted seen for me.
Get rid of the rope halter seen, period.
If you have a bridle on the head then you should not have a rope halter.
If you are doing western showmanship/halter then you better have a leather halter fitted and leather shank you know how to hold and position your hands in a ring...practice, practice and more practice.
Learn the patterns, learn how to stand yourself and how to present your horse to the judge...

Either @Dreamcatcher Arabians or @walkinthewalk have shown or have horses handled and shown for them in "in-hand" classes...
In-hand is a different language of body cues your horse must also master reading your correct posturing.
A trainer and some serious work on everyones part to do this and do it really well.
Good luck and enjoy the adventure.
🐴..............

·
Registered
15,967 Posts
Either @Dreamcatcher Arabians or @walkinthewalk have shown or have horses handled and shown for them in "in-hand" classes...
In-hand is a different language of body cues your horse must also master reading your correct posturing.
A trainer and some serious work on everyones part to do this and do it really well.
Good luck and enjoy the adventure.
🐴..............
I saw the British flag and the questions in more Queen's English, so not sure I can be of any help. I only show here in the US, so don't know what they do in GB.

Reactions: knightrider

·
Administrator
36,961 Posts
She doesn't appear to have any feathering that would make her look like a candidate for Gypsy/Traditional Cob classes so she's going to fall into the Riding Pony category.

For show classes she should be plaited - mane and tail (unless her tail is pulled) and that little bit of feather trimmed off her heels

She should be shown in a bridle for in hand classes as she's an adult

For both classes, you want a brown bridle and saddle, the bit should be a regular single or double joined snaffle.

Depending on what class you're showing in your riding jacket should be tweed for hunter ponies (she's 15 hands and under) or plain for riding pony classes.

Your outfit for in hand just needs to be smart, some ladies do wear skirts, always wear sensible shoes that you can run in. Gloves should be worn, hair neat and tied back in a bun or a looped plait, if long and preferably a hat - I'd wear a riding helmet if you don't want to splash out on a bowler.
I personally always wore a tweed jacket, plain shirt and tie and beige trousers with jodhpur boots.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts