The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sick and tired of "horse people" (As in the ones that would like to belive they are)

God.... Someone I know (I'm not using names or relations or anything on this... I just want to know if anyone has any advice) always goes out and buys these normaly really nice horses. Flashy, well behaved, expensive horses. Most of them she then comes to me for help because she learns she can't ride them... Worst yet, she buys flashy high strung ponies for kids to ride =/ Well.. she always ends up selling them, or giving them away because after awhile they're runined. They've had ENOUGH of being treated like crap. They aren't fed or watered properly. They often go without farrier care. They only get shots because she wants to be able to take them to a show.... I've one of her castaways in my field because honestly.... I can't compleatly fix her. I've tried. And tried.... But she's just, not all there now. But now, she bought a young really pretty flashy paint pony. About 11-12 hands. That was amish trained. She was ok when she first got there. But then with rough handling from kids that had no idea what they were doing. And let her get away with everything. She turned into a spoiled nasty Bit*h. I went out and worked with her. And got her pretty near perfect. And fell in love with her. I got the bucking stopped, and finally was able to talk the lady into getting a saddle that wasn't 3 times to small. And getting an awful western straight bit that wieghed 5 pounds out of her little mouth. And putting a snaffle on her.... Everything was fine with her and the kids. Till they started using the to small saddle again. And switched the bit back. Now that shes "awful" again off she goes. Because the kids are afraid of her. I went up to see her the other day. Shes got fat deposits everywhere from being just turned out in the grass. My farrier says she shows signs of founder in the past. And even I was able to see she has white line desiease... But I can have her for 400 dollars.... Ugh! :x:x:x I've already decided to buy her. But I know this is going to happen again.... and again.. I'm just getting really sick of the situation. And honestly whats the likely hood I can re-home this pony
after working with her? Shes honestly not good for a childs mount. Unless its a really mature child. Shes NOT broke to cart. And has foundered in the past. And the fat deposits scream IR to me....

·
Registered
9,830 Posts
I feel sorry for you.

I used to re-school Widowmakers (horses that people like you reference made bad), then sell them to experienced trail riders. That went really well.

Then one day I got talked into "just helping this poor lady one time" because her horse would not stand still for her to get on.

I fixed that horse not once but twice. The third time the lady called complaining I didn't fix her horse, I replied "oh but I did. You're the problem and until you fix yourself, your horse will never stay "fixed" and I hung up the phone, never to re-school another horse for re-sale again.

Your acquaintance (I hesitate to use the word friend) is what I call "a Legend in her own mind". Nothing you say or do is going to change her.

I know a few folks with 30 years horse experience and they are still dumber than a pile of rocks when it comes to handling the horse, riding the horse, feeding the horse, yadda yadda.

Yet there are an equal amount of brand new horse owners that just jump right in and instinctively know what to do.

It is called common sense and logic.

Bottom line, to steal from my comic hero Ron White: "You Can't Fix Stupid".

I honestly wish I had an answer for you but a counter-rant against all these morons is the best I can do and to wish you the best of luck in trying to just turn your back on the entire affair. It won't end until they get out of horses:think:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm honestly... kinda just thinking to take this little mare. And get her paid for. Then be done with the whole thing. I've tried and tried to help. And honestly I can't even do that without getting snappy with the woman. I can only repeat myself so often. However, Its nice to know I'm not the only one that has been pulled into something like this. Maybe I can turn the little one around again and find her a good home. If not, well she can always keep my old man company. Maybe he'd like being with her instead of the bigger horses I guess..... Shes pretty, maybe with some work she'd make someone a nice little cart pony. I'm just really concerned about the fat, and possible IR.

·
Banned
2,469 Posts
Fat can be fixed, IR can be controlled.However, I would only offer her HALF that $400. She will drag feet about it, but she will end up taking it. Who ELSE would buy that pony?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I agree with the above stop enabling her, she is an askhole she will keep asking and never do anything with the answer.

I don't know where my husband got this term but he always says "not my monkey, not my circus."

I am a bleeding heart too when it comes to animals save the one last poor little pony and then next time she calls, "not my monkey, not my circus."

·
Registered
48,786 Posts
doesn't your avatar name say "too many horses'? are you sure you can add to that? there is never any end to the horses that need rescuing.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The name is a joke between friends ;) Whenever some asks me how may horses I have thats the awnser. I owned ONE horse. My mother died leaving me two more last march, and that was right after I bought the crazy paint mare off this lady. Then that very summer the pony showed up. It was a lot to take in. And it was rough. Still is sometimes. However they all are doing fine, and I'm growing accustomed to the work. Again from one horse five, five stalls to clean in the winter. Five mouths to feed. And five animals to work with. At first I was super stressed, and a bit hysterical and emotional after finding out about my mother, and the funeral. And than having to go out and see her horses every single day. One that I trained for her.... My friends started the joke. And thinking about it makes me smile even on my really crappy days

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the time, for sure. I'm not worried about being able to feed her. And if she can be brought around. Health and training wise. I know a few people that may be needing a bigger pony soon, perhaps maybe just leasing her out until that child outgrows her. That way I can keep and eye on her health wise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm afraid all you can do is just walk away. But I know exactly how you feel! There are so many know-it-all self-proclaimed "trainers" and people who just think they know everything. We bought a horse from an "expert trainer" whose mouth is destroyed from being yanked on, had scars on his hind legs from being caught in faulty fencing, and had an abscessed tooth they didn't even bother to fix. Luckily, no one hires this "trainer," but she does keep buying horses and ruining them. Their animals die off all the time too because they don't know how to care for them, and it's really sad. They also "don't believe" in euthanasia, so they let the animals die slowly and miserably. I wish they would just get rid of all of their animals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts