The Horse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone if you have been following my post you know I had been riding at a stable named "p" for about four years. Unfortunately, my instructor gave me two options which neither one worked out for me, so I had to find a new stable and I did. I love "R." The instructor is great, the two to other women I ride with are great and the teens are really great too. always giving me compliments.

The "P" stable was really nice and had indoor arena, unfortunately my new stable does not have indoor arena so due to weather haven't been able to ride at all.

I am so sick of the rainy weather, anyone else?

·
Super Moderator
26,885 Posts
I haven't ridden in a couple weeks. I did sit on Rileys back the other day while he ate... does that count?

Reactions: AbbySmith

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sorry to hear that. We hardly have indoor arenas in South Africa but I've been to other countries where they do because of the weather.

I haven't ridden in 7 months but that is going to change this week. I don't care what anyone says.

·
Banned
228 Posts
Ugh, yes. I have a small indoor but 10 below, or in the 20s with awful wind is just too cold! The one day it was warm enough to ride, two days ago, Murphy was acting like a bomb about to go off so we just did groundwork. Can’t really blame him though, with two weeks of nothing thanks to weather.

I just can’t wait for warmer weather!

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,090 Posts
Yep. I pay extra to board at a place with an indoor arena, but the shape of the roof means that on warmer days, the sun will make the snow buildup melt and come crashing down, which spooks the horses and makes riding then a bad idea. Other times, it's been too cold, or other stupid factors have combined to mean I haven't gotten my rides in. In theory I'm supposed to be riding three times a week. But I've only gotten one ride in so far this month!

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I live in Northern Arizona and ride pretty much all the time......my latest avatar photo was taken just a few days ago. BUT the tradeoff is we have been in a terrible drought for years and years now and we have to worry about wildfires every spring and summer. One year we even had to evacuate and were out of the area for two weeks not knowing if we had a house left. Or horses. It was horrible. So be happy you have rain and/or snow. If you didn't, you would have to worry about things burning down all spring and summer. I wish I lived someplace wetter. Not necessarily colder, but definitely wetter! Green is my favorite color and I can't get enough of green grass and trees and bodies of water. It's beautiful. I hate living in perpetual drought. It's depressing. Not to mention not a lick of grass for the horses. Horse owners here feed hay year-round at some of the highest prices in the USA.

Well, I guess that turned into more of a vent, sorry! Yes, it WOULD get old not being able to ride due to the weather. I would get tired of that too! I love to ride and get depressed if I can't ride for a week or two.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
trailhorserider: I totally get where your coming from I wouldn't want to be in a drought either. For almost 2 weeks now we have had rain every single day and night.

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
Ugh, yes! I only get to ride occasionally at the rescue, but the rescue owner hates the cold and doesn't want to ride when it's super cold (-20 or lower), so I don't get to ride :( Of course, I would ride if I was given the option. I ride no matter what, if someone offers, I say yes. Two weeks ago I was riding in cowboy boots in -24 weather. It was totally worth cold (frozen!) feet though. I really want summer to come though, I'm sick of being cold!

Hopefully we can all start riding again! We need to start a thread when it's finally summer about how glad everyone is to finally have gotten to ride!

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
Big yes.
I haven't been on my horse since Christmas. She is fancying herself a Wild Mustang of the Snows now (in reality she is a tame Morgan of Massachusetts). Today I caught her, groomed her up a little, and we took a walk down to the bottom of the road and back (three miles). She balked going down, pulled going up, pranced around when some snowmobilers crossed the road, and when I stopped to talk to a neighbor driving by stuck her head in the window and generally made a nuisance of herself like a toddler. But at least I did SOMETHING.

Last night it was 4 degrees F. Tomorrow the forecast is 'freezing drizzle'. Yay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Due to medical issues, I have been out of the saddle for 3.5 years. Of the 12 years I’ve had my horse, I have been medically cleared for riding a total of 9 months. Yep, the longing is real! Thankfully we have been at good barns and had the facilities to do ground work, hand grazing plus walking and grooming. Of course, I just get medically cleared and now we have snow, ice, nasty winds and he has hoof issues. “Some days you’re the windshield, some days you’re the bug”...some day I’m going to be the driver!!! Fingers crossed my unwanted streak is broken asap!!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
nd grooming. Of course, I just get medically cleared and now we have snow, ice, nasty winds and he has hoof issues. “Some days you’re the windshield, some days you’re the bug”...some day I’m going to be the driver!!! Fingers crossed my unwanted streak is broken asap!!!
Sorry to hear this. Glad you are cleared now.

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
Yeah, it's rough to not be able to ride as often as you'd like. But we will ride in pretty much any weather. Well, unless it's below -20C, then we put it on hold. The big issue here is the footing. It's good today, so we will try to get in a ride. Tomorrow and Monday, there is snow in the forecast so that will mess up my perfect paddock again.

Honestly, winter is not a bad time to ride for us. Spring is the worst. Too much mud to do anything. So people who live in perpetually wet climates have my complete sympathy.

This was from my ride last weekend. It was windy and snowing sideways, lol. But at least I got on for a bit!

·
Registered
700 Posts
I live in Northern Arizona and ride pretty much all the time......my latest avatar photo was taken just a few days ago. BUT the tradeoff is we have been in a terrible drought for years and years now and we have to worry about wildfires every spring and summer. One year we even had to evacuate and were out of the area for two weeks not knowing if we had a house left. Or horses. It was horrible. So be happy you have rain and/or snow. If you didn't, you would have to worry about things burning down all spring and summer. I wish I lived someplace wetter. Not necessarily colder, but definitely wetter! Green is my favorite color and I can't get enough of green grass and trees and bodies of water. It's beautiful. I hate living in perpetual drought. It's depressing. Not to mention not a lick of grass for the horses. Horse owners here feed hay year-round at some of the highest prices in the USA.

Well, I guess that turned into more of a vent, sorry! Yes, it WOULD get old not being able to ride due to the weather. I would get tired of that too! I love to ride and get depressed if I can't ride for a week or two.
I live in south central MO. Summers are hot and muggy. I have been riding Arabian horses for over 30 years. All of them have been true to their desert DNA. Out on the trail, they wouldn't take a sip of water unless they were parched. All of them, except one I have now. There isn't a drink of water he turns down. So when it is hot, I now find myself looking at the trail map, memorizing the location of creeks and ponds. What do you do in AZ? I normally ride for about 3 hrs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Glad you are cleared now.
Thank you! 😁 I am soooooo excited and pray my boy will be ready soon. If not, we’ll do what we 😎🐴 always do - spend time together - and wait for him to be cleared. He’s soooooo worth the wait 🧡 I cannot do anything about the weather, so we’ll wait that out too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts