The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for another decision. Too many choices. The trainer said I need to either get oversized aluminum stirrups or breakaway stirrups when I wear my larger winter boots. I looked at the previous threads and still not sure. The sidestep ones looked interesting, quite dorky looking but maybe safe and comfortable. Has anyone actually used them or regular western breakaway stirrups?

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I just use an overshoe stirrup. I am positive my feet are much bigger and wider than yours and my boots have no problem coming out of them.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I have to agree with Kevin, the overshoe stirrups should work. I am a very firm advocate against aluminum stirrups of any kind, especially out on the trail. If the horse falls with you, it is possible that the stirrup could bend and you end up with your foot stuck in the stirrup and you can't get it out. Very scary idea. I stick with leather or rawhide covered wood stirrups.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
I have to agree with Kevin, the overshoe stirrups should work. I am a very firm advocate against aluminum stirrups of any kind, especially out on the trail. If the horse falls with you, it is possible that the stirrup could bend and you end up with your foot stuck in the stirrup and you can't get it out. Very scary idea. I stick with leather or rawhide covered wood stirrups.
Sorry to go off subject but...WOW. I never thought of that. I'm going to get a different stirrup. I have some light aluminum endurance on now. I imagine they would bend very easily :shock:

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Fortunately, I didn't have to find that out on my own. My Dad worked for a guy outside Garden City for a while back in the late 60's and early 70's and most of what he did was bronc busting. He used some aluminum oxbows for the first while but one of the horses fell on him and he ended up trapped. He lucked out and the guy he was working for was there and after the horse stopped bucking, he undid the stirrup leather and took the stirrup off so my Dad could get off the horse. He told me that story when I was young and just really getting into riding a lot on some younger horses. Now every time I see an aluminum stirrup, I cringe.

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
Wow. Thank you for the word of advice, Smrobs... I'm sorry your dad had to find out the hard way -- that lesson will stay with me forever though, I guarantee it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.