The Horse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the riders at the barn have calfskin saddles of various brands. During discussions in the past I’ve always warned them not to wear sticky seat breeches in their calfskin saddles because it could damage the calfskin. The owner of a local tack shop told me that many years ago and I’ve always taken it as gospel. During our last group lesson a couple of them said they couldn’t find anything about not wearing sticky breeches in calfskin saddles, and confronted me on where I had heard that. I told them my source, but then went to google, and can’t really find anything other than a couple of forum threads mentioning the sticky seat breeches can be harmful. Does anybody have any leads on actual sources I can present as evidence should the topic come up again?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
My trainer wears sticky seat breeeches with her own dressage trainer lessons and she rides a $5000 saddle of some kind.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just googled for you, but couldn't find a thing. I, myself, have a silicone seat and a leather saddle and haven't found any difficulties. Maybe it's per type of leather different or how sticky the silicone is.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just googled for you, but couldn't find a thing. I, myself, have a silicone seat and a leather saddle and haven't found any difficulties. Maybe it's per type of leather different or how sticky the silicone is.
Yeah, all I could find were forum threads with people saying not to ride in silicone breeches or jeans in a calfskin saddle.

I do know that calfskin is a thinner leather, and it’s recommended to use calfskin stirrup leathers on a calfskin saddle.

I just felt a bit silly when I have been passing on what the tack shop owner told me, and when confronted about it I couldn’t come up with any actual proof.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could a calf skin saddle cost as much as your $5k one?
Oh gosh yes. Sorry, my point was more that price does not equal what leather it is made out of. French made saddles are almost always calfskin and new are in the $5k - $8k range. British made saddles are almost never made with calfskin (which mine is a British brand) and are typically top out at $5k.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I had a dressage saddle made in India out of water buffalo hide. It lasted just fine being trail riden in the hills for 20 years, then burned up in a fire. I wore blue jeans.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a dressage saddle made in India out of water buffalo hide. It lasted just fine being trail riden in the hills for 20 years, then burned up in a fire. I wore blue jeans.
Buffalo leather is super tough stuff, so I’m not surprised.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts