The Horse Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
14,148 Posts
:rofl: Yep, I do that too! :D

Our geriatric horse Romeo gets twice daily humongous bucket feeds. He has a funny neigh, which I shall approximate for you all as "Wohohohoho!" So we often call him "Mr Wohohohoho."

It's kind of crazy spending all this money for years and years to buy him special feeds because of his diminishing teeth since age 30, but he's just such a nice guy and always running around with a smile on his face and enjoying life. :) He'll be 34 next month. Whew!
Cloney does a funny nicker at meal times too. His is more of a real deep, "HUHuhuhuhuh" though.

It's not crazy! At 34 years young, he's worth every nickle you spend on him, just because he's HIM. He's earned whatever he gets.

·
Super Moderator
9,627 Posts
Tonight I coached my (poor) horse on how to jump irrigation ditches. Like his overly-energetic paddock mates. I used an incredible amount of words and demonstrated the leap.

He just kept staring at me, sighed, and stepped across. I corrected him, verbally, and explained it all again and demonstrated a few more (awesome) leaps. He finally wouldn't even look at me.

I'll go be quiet again, now.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I always say "Make good choices!" When I let my boy back into the yard with his mate. But I also say this to my cats when I leave them....lol.

If my boy is being good, I call him my "eggy boy" which came from telling him he's a good egg. Then I realised he's kinda egg coloured too. So he's eggy boy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, whenever my horses snort, I’ve gotten into the laughable habit of saying, “Bless you!”. Also (and this is unrealistically pathetic) , when Apple or Sweet Pea whinny to me in the morning, I call, “Good morning, fuzzy-butts!” (Note that it was winter when I said this- they resembled mammoths.) Below are photos of one of our minis in the winter and summer- big difference!

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
I keep up a ramble to Toby when we're working in the ring - kind of bantering with him like I do with the kids I babysit, as if he can understand. Things like "listen, my dude, I know, there's bugs, but if we would say WALK FASTER the bugs wouldn't catch us." and "why are you looking at [trainer]? she has nothing interesting. she has a stick. keep moving or we're going to regret this." or "if you don't listen to me we're going to [spin, do something weird, whatever], and you better be glad it's not [trainer] riding you and only me."

I also sing to him. Not when riding - I sing to him when I'm grooming him, particularly after a ride. He gets very relaxed when I sing to him, so I think he enjoys it, or at least perceives it as some weird human version of nickering.

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
If any of you are familiar with Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, it may amuse you to know that my favourite variation on Sunsmart's name is "Smartibartfast"... he responds very well to it. I use it affectionately. :love:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
@SueC - Love Hitchhikers as well.

When mine was at his spooky best, I nicknamed him Marvin as he was always paranoid about what was hiding behind every bush. IT went over the heads of everyone in the yard.

I'm away to find my old books for another read.

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
@SueC - Love Hitchhikers as well.

When mine was at his spooky best, I nicknamed him Marvin as he was always paranoid about what was hiding behind every bush.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Perfect!!!

When a horse is spooky, my husband will make chicken noises and say, "What are you, a horse or a mouse?"

IT went over the heads of everyone in the yard.
Whoosh! :rofl:

I'm away to find my old books for another read.
On related humour, although not from outerspace, you may enjoy Dead Like Me and Wonderfalls. Not to mention Going Postal. And definitely Neverwhere. But being in the UK you may already have caught the last two! ;-)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Perfect!!!

When a horse is spooky, my husband will make chicken noises and say, "What are you, a horse or a mouse?"

Whoosh! :rofl:

On related humour, although not from outerspace, you may enjoy Dead Like Me and Wonderfalls. Not to mention Going Postal. And definitely Neverwhere. But being in the UK you may already have caught the last two! ;-)

Never read them, i'll have a look; thanks

Reactions: SueC
41 - 54 of 54 Posts