The Horse Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
The rigging/how it is rigged refers to the stuff you put your cinch(es) through basically. most commonly a d ring but it looks like you have in-skirt flat plate rigging in front and i’m not sure what you call your rear rigging, never seen that before. They may also want to know the rigging position (full, 7/8, 3/4, center fire etc) which refers to the placement of the rigging. i can’t tell you for sure what placement it is. I kinda wanna say that’s full rigging where you currently have your cinch and 7/8 in the other spot just behind it? but i am not an expert and only learned this recently!

Beautiful saddle.

edited for further clarity and a correction

·
Registered
568 Posts
That flat plat looks as if it may have a second attachment so the girth strap can be moved back to the more rearward slot.

That looks to be a super quality made saddle. An accurate pricing I think could only be made by someone in the business. If there is a large large saddle shop anywhere in your area, that might be a good place to check.

I would also contact the manufacturer. They could likely tell when the saddle was made and give a ball park price also.

I just took a look around and Simcos seem to be selling from $250 to $2500. Haven't seen one with the flat plate rigging and haven't seen one that nice. I'm wondering if Simco is out of business and the low priced ones are by other just using the name of Simco.

When buying any used saddle the most important thing to check is for tree damage. That can't be done with pictures.

Reactions: LilyandPistol

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Simco is out of business, but I do like their saddles. I still have my first barrel saddle made by them. It's a scrappy little thing but it works.

Assuming everything is solid (tree, rigging, etc.,) I'd list the saddle for around $600. I probably wouldn't get that here, since everyone wants a barrel saddle where I live and most people want cheap. But if you live in an area with a lot of western shows and people with a little more money in hand, you're in luck. It entirely depends on the supply/demand.

That's an older saddle, just judging by the style of the rigging. Not sure of the exact year, but it (probably) wasn't made in this decade. It's in AMAZING shape.

I'd say most simcos are better than Dakotas but not quite as good as Corrientes. Right in the middle there. Quality leather, good trees. What you can get for it depends on where you live.

I realize this post might be entirely unhelpful. Tl;Dr, I'd value it around $600 and see if you can get a little more, but don't be upset if someone offers a little less.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
The saddle has an in skirt rigging with two options on where to place your latigo.

This is a plate rigging:
20171214_130544.jpg

Your saddle reminds me of the era when Simco used to put a full page ad in Western Horseman. You could buy a saddle for under $500 plus add a matching headstall and breast collar for $40. I think that was back in the 80s?
But don't take my word for that.

Action Saddle Company bought Simco-Longhorn. From what I have read you can contact Action and they can help identify your saddle and possibly give you an estimated value?
972-542-8700 or 800-937-3700

Good Luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Simco is out of business, but I do like their saddles. I still have my first barrel saddle made by them. It's a scrappy little thing but it works.

Assuming everything is solid (tree, rigging, etc.,) I'd list the saddle for around $600. I probably wouldn't get that here, since everyone wants a barrel saddle where I live and most people want cheap. But if you live in an area with a lot of western shows and people with a little more money in hand, you're in luck. It entirely depends on the supply/demand.

That's an older saddle, just judging by the style of the rigging. Not sure of the exact year, but it (probably) wasn't made in this decade. It's in AMAZING shape.

I'd say most simcos are better than Dakotas but not quite as good as Corrientes. Right in the middle there. Quality leather, good trees. What you can get for it depends on where you live.

I realize this post might be entirely unhelpful. Tl;Dr, I'd value it around $600 and see if you can get a little more, but don't be upset if someone offers a little less.
I take it this is not a saddle for barrel racing so what would this saddle be used for?

·
Banned
0 Posts
That Simco almost looks like a barrel saddle, but the cantle isn't tall enough and the horn is too big and thick. Could be used for cutting; but, to me, it mainly looks like a pleasure and trail saddle

I would list it like this:

-(whatever year it is) Simco western pleasure and trail saddle.
-used but in great condition
-gorgeous tooling and authentic leather
-(however many rides its has been used for) ((if you don't know, say how many in a general way or how long you have had it))
-$595 will consider any offers, free shipping
-(semi or full QH bars?)

And then post a few pics with serial number and any blemishes it has currently.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I take it this is not a saddle for barrel racing so what would this saddle be used for?
It could pass as an older style barrel saddle. I'd call it a pleasure/trail saddle or an all purpose saddle, even though that's not really a western term. It has what you'd call a beartrap pommel, which some people really like. It looks like a good all-around saddle that you could do anything with. Except I WOULDN'T rope with it. It doesn't look like it's built for roping, even if the tree is made of the right material.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
It could pass as an older style barrel saddle. I'd call it a pleasure/trail saddle or an all purpose saddle, even though that's not really a western term. It has what you'd call a beartrap pommel, which some people really like. It looks like a good all-around saddle that you could do anything with. Except I WOULDN'T rope with it. It doesn't look like it's built for roping, even if the tree is made of the right material.
I’m planning on calling the company tomorrow. I never used this saddle after I bought it somewhere around 20 years ago,I bought it from the original owner. I think, not sure, it has a 17” seat, hope I’ll find out more tomorrow. Thank you for all your help!

·
Registered
787 Posts
It's a '70s buckstitched show / trail saddle. People used to show in them. The rigging is called 3-way rigging. With tie straps on both sides, you can rig it as 3/4, 7/8, or full. 3-way rigging Yours has a plate instead of rings, but works the same.
Market for it? About 8-10 years ago, those old buckstitched saddles were a fad as show saddles for Rocky Mountain Spotted Horse and maybe a couple other gaited breeds. That tree is too narrow for today's QH. It might fit some of the TBs and TB crosses that barrel racers ride, though. But it's a pleasure saddle, not an action saddle, imo. 17" seat would be really rare. Are you certain you measured correctly?

It's not a top-end saddle, more of average quality for the day. Which is still better than 90% of today's junk. Look a the tree and determine whether it's Ralide (plastic) or bullhide wrapped wood. It looks like a Ralide shape to me. Swept-back swells or are those forks? I forget. I'm saddleseat.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts