The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I’m looking to get rope reins that’ll reach from the bottom of a rope halter to the horn of a saddle on a 15 hand quarter horse. I prefer the braided cotton rope but can’t seem to find a decent size and I’m wondering if 7 feet would work?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm pretty sure 8ft reins are standard for barrel racing, so if you are trail riding you may want them a little longer... they make so there is a little bit of slack in the rein. It also depends on how long your horses' neck is.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Most single (roping) reins come in 7 or 8 foot lengths which is plenty long.

If you like braided rope, you could just buy 20 or so feet of it and do this:
Then you can make your reins whatever length you want or need them.

·
Registered
49,419 Posts
my first pair of rope reins with slobber straps were the standard length . . 7 or 8 feet .. .I dn't remember. I didn't like them after a bit. I could not allow horse to graze if I wanted to while still mounted. If I put them over teh saddle horn it kept him very tight. I didn't have enough extra to give him a big release on one side, or to use a wide opening rein for training manuevers. I finally got much longer rope reins and was much happier.

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
Hi I’m looking to get rope reins that’ll reach from the bottom of a rope halter to the horn of a saddle on a 15 hand quarter horse. I prefer the braided cotton rope but can’t seem to find a decent size and I’m wondering if 7 feet would work?
How tall the horse really doesn't matter. It depends how long their neck is.

You won't find roping reins in different sizes. They'll usually either come around 7 or 8 feet.

Buy a pair and "try them on". Leave the tags on so you can return them if they don't work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts