The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
49,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
these are 5 minute sketches. Now, can I retain the liveliness of them once I paint them. That is the challenge! I can so easily just overwork them and then they have no energy left. I haven't painted at all in like 4 months!
Finally feeling the urge to paint, so this is a good start. I do love to paint the foals . I just love their awkwardness.

IMG_3729.jpg

IMG_3730.jpg

IMG_3731.jpg

IMG_3732.jpg

IMG_3733.jpg

IMG_3734.jpg

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I absolutely love those sketches - I hope you keep your sketches after you've done a painting; framed and hanging on the wall they would stand on their own merits.

·
Registered
49,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the are inkwash, except the colored one, which is outlined in ink, and colored with watercolor pencils.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Got anymore? Looking for kind of a over the shoulder looking away sketch for a tattoo. Got everything else pretty much figured out but the horse piece.

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
this is the best one, IMO:

That is the best one I think too.....you didn't lose the immediacy nor did it 'freeze' on you....I like it. Have you tried using Sellenier inks? They're a calligraphy ink and it has a shellac in it that adds a glow like nothing else and it washes like watercolor.....fantastic stuff!

Sennelier Shellac Ink - BLICK art materials

·
Registered
49,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no. I haven't. I'll look into that. just like tack, I love buying new art supplies.

How is your work going?

·
Registered
49,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got anymore? Looking for kind of a over the shoulder looking away sketch for a tattoo. Got everything else pretty much figured out but the horse piece.

I have many paintings posted on different threads in the artwork forum. As for a tattoo sketch, I am not sure what you mean by looking over the shoulder.

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
no. I haven't. I'll look into that. just like tack, I love buying new art supplies.

How is your work going?
It's not!! I did a charity auction/exhibit in May and have been dawdling around ever since....don't get much done in the summer.....:-(

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
Also, the inks I mentioned, if you use them as a wash like watercolor they will go matte, however if you use the dropper to apply straight Undiluted ink over a wash it really glows. I like the sepia/walnut tones although some of the reds are fabulous.

·
Registered
49,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well, this little messing around was the first painting I've done in months. I feel uber rusty.

Get crackin!

·
Registered
49,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also, the inks I mentioned, if you use them as a wash like watercolor they will go matte, however if you use the dropper to apply straight Undiluted ink over a wash it really glows. I like the sepia/walnut tones although some of the reds are fabulous.
apparently they do not dilute with water. not water based. not sure how i'd paint with something I can't dilute with water. I need graduations to be happy.

I am signed up to take a basic watercolor class , as I have never had any instruction in that medium. I just wing it.

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
apparently they do not dilute with water. not water based. not sure how i'd paint with something I can't dilute with water. I need graduations to be happy.

I am signed up to take a basic watercolor class , as I have never had any instruction in that medium. I just wing it.
Haha oh yes they do.....just wait......I'm running to my art room.....

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
Ok quickly grabbed a bottle of the ink and threw some water on sketch paper...I only have giant sheets of WC paper and didn't want to waste one!!!

Added the ink:

image.jpg

1 - 20 of 41 Posts