The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a little Shetland Pony (Nippa) who had a mild skin irritation when i purchased him. I was assured that a little betadine wash would clear it up, however since the purchase I have washed it regularly with the betadine solution and it is actually seeming to get worse although not spreading to any of my other horses. It makes my poor boy really itchy so he rubs on gates and trees, which in turn makes him lose hair. Its concentrated across his shoulders and chest. So I am at a bit of a loss as to what it may be? Was thinking an allergy of some sorts since it isn't spreading to the other horses only getting worse on him, which has also made me cut the betadine wash wondering if maybe that was causing the problem! I do plan on getting the vet to come see him this week, but was wondering if you guys might have any ideas?

thats actually him in the picture, but you can't see the irritation to well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,082 Posts
Alot of food allergies cause itching in those areas. Less protien may help. Not sure what you feed but grass hay and if you grain Safe choice is good for allergies
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
at the moment he is only on a little oaten chaff and a little lucerne chaff each day, as he is a little fatty haha
he also gets a mineral supplement as the soil in our area isn't great, and at the moment the paddocks are pretty barren anyway
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,184 Posts
For general skin irritations, and especially allergic reactions, betadine can actually further irritate the skin by drying it out.
What I would be doing is flushing the skin with large quantities of water or a saline solution to try and get rid of the irritant and then be spraying a mild antifungal/antibacterial onto the affected area to try and clear it up. If there are scabs, they need to be picked off. In the mean time I would also make an appointment with a vet because if it is mites, they may need to be treated with a pesticide. If it is another type of allergic reaction, the vet will also be needed to run the appropriate tests.

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the advice anabel, i just bought an anti-fungal/anti-bacterial, so hopefully that will help. He's not scabby at all, there's actually no noticeable signs of his itchy predicament except the hair loss where he is rubbing it. Am calling the vet today so hopefully he can come out asap. I feel so sorry for the poor little thing itching all over the place.

the chaff we feed is way higher in fibre than protein. i try to feed a pretty low protein diet as all of my horses at this point are only in very light work.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top