The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a mare who gets scratches every summer and this winter it's almost like they have kept going but now I feel like it's just something more. She's not lame and awesome still. We ride still and it's like they don't affect her unless I'm down touching the scabs. Anyone have something like this before? She had lost all the hair in a patch and now it's growing back. I've done everything. Fiskes. Hibitane. Iodine. Furacin. Just now trying colloidal silver. She's had some antibiotics to help from the inside. She's getting her teeth done in the spring so I'll have the vet look then. First picture is last week and the second is last month. sorry the pictures are sideways and upside down.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,259 Posts
Keep her dry, dry, dry. Moisture from wet conditions, humidity, even snow can make it worse. Has your vet scraped to determine the root cause? That determines the basic treatment. If it is persistent then you really want to stay on to of it. Making sure the nutritional needs are met can help too. Especially adding Omega 3s.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Clip the legs. I would put boots on when ridden to protect the legs from direct contact with mud, snow, dirt, and ice.

Towel the legs dry after riding or use a hair dryer and stall in dry shavings.

Another option is pymethrin shampoo, but that only works if your horse has skin mites. My mare picks up mites when riding during the summer and breaks out in oozing sores. I doubt that is contributing in your case, as you are in snow.

Wet is the enemy here. Bacteria and fungi take up residence in those sores making them difficult to heal. I would try triple antibiotic ointment with clotrimazole ointment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts