The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used Avon skin so soft as a bug and tick repellant on their horses or themselves? How well does it work?

Also looking for good homemade or natural shampoo recipes for white coats...

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
I have tried Skin So Soft on myself as a bug repellent, didn't work for mosquitos at all. For white horses, just use whatever thick shampoo you have and mix it with Mrs. Stewart's bluing, found in the laundry section of any grocery store, that will whiten your horse like no tomorrow. http://www.oklahomahistory.net/ttphotos5a/MrsStewartsBluing.jpg

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
I used Skin-so-Soft on horses with summer itch. It turned mane-less into 15" within a year. BUT....has to be the "Original" bath oil. The scented one's don't work. It does keep flies away from eyes, too.

·
Registered
14,167 Posts
I LOVE Mrs. Stewart's Bluing, just be careful, it can turn your horse blue in a minute if you use too much or leave it on too long. I like to mix up in the rinse water and put it on and leave it for several minutes and then rinse and give a "hot oil" treatment.

Skin So Soft and vinegar works pretty good as a bug repellant.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I use the original skin so soft on myself and shih tzu's, but I mix it first. I take a spray bottle, put in a couple of capfulls of skin so soft, small amount of apple cider vinegar, fill with water and shake. It works for me and my dogs.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
That is way too expensive for that use and also when the vogue was to use it on tails? Lost all feathers as it makes hair very brittle. Stupid decision by stupid people, no feathers is NOT good in ASB world.

Mix something with ACV, (the REAL kind).

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have tried a recipe with SSS and felt it worked ok but was expensive. I now buy Repel in the concentrate, it is also expensive :D I hate spending money on fly spray but feel it is necessary.

·
Registered
13,661 Posts

We have used this formula for years, works very well

4 oz Skin So Soft
1 oz citronella oil
12 oz white vinegar (only use white, others are not as good)
12 oz water

Never tried it on ourselves, only the Horses

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Owning a black horse now I won't use any oil based sprays but used to on my chestnut use the one above with great success. My inside dog gets a capful in her rinse water as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I use Kevin's recipe with a little permethrin added. Without the permethrin the deer flies bite right through.

My daughter was selling avon for a little while. I was able to hit the sales and get it at her cost. Think I got 5 bottles for the price of one normally.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I use skin so soft all the time on my horse considering my mom sells Avon, and to be honest,I don't add anything to it, I just put it in a spray bottle and I'm on my way. But sadly I can't use it anymore because he is younger and his skin is peeling as he grows and it just makes it worse but other than that it does work really well and if you have access to it, I highly recommend it. It gives a bonus of a soft and shiny coat too.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I use SSS on us, and on the horses, dogs, cats, and goats.
It works really well.
It's better as a flea/tick repellant than a fly spray, but maybe I didn't use enough when I did it as a fly spray.
I use a mix of 1/2 SSS and 1/2 water.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts