Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi everyone, thanks for reading

so I've been trying really hard working with the mare I loan, she's got a bunch of bad habits or little tests to see what kind of a rider I am, like charging down the wrong path with her eyes closed or getting very strong on the walk home...

so today I was working on her not wanting to halt, turn around or just do an extra path on our trail (as soon as she's done the usual route she HAS to head straight back home or she'll have a hissy fit) since she's quite lazy and not the biggest fan of anything to do with... well moving

most of the issues come from me cantering her in the field too much so she no longer wants to go in and then once we are in the field she becomes very strong and trotty...
so today I took it slow in the field, no cantering just walking, circling her until she stopped being so trotty and then halting her each time she began to pick up her walk with out me asking... I even got to loop her round the field an extra time with out much fuss... then cantered her outside of the field.. up the hill to the stables, before just walking in and out of the trail entrance a few times more at a walk

heres the issue though; the path to the stable I decided to circle her once more, this was a dumb decision partly caused by me being so proud of her on the hack, and she totally locked up, I couldn't turn her in the end and decided to give up (worst thing to do ik) but it seemed like she was going to do something stupid if I pushed her more (the path is surrounded by 2 ditches with barbed wire fences at the bottom and she's not known for being the most coordinated horse), so instead I decided to just do an S type pattern on the path to try and loosen her up again, and she stayed very locked on the side I had tried to turn her, over all ending the hack on a pretty bad note...

so how do you guys remind your selves to skip that 'just because' step, It always ends badly for me and I ALWAYS do it anyway...

then I have one more question if any one is kind enough to help me with it;
since I can't canter her down hill (she's often too on the forehand on flat ground any way and not even very balanced down hill at a walk) and the whole trail from my stables to the spot we turn at for home is down hill I can only canter her on the way home and I really don't want her to start rushing back to the stables again (only recently stopped doing that), so is it a really bad idea to canter her on the way home or will it be ok if I continue to ask her to halt/ circle along the route home?

would love to hear your thoughts

·
Registered
7,192 Posts
Train long enough and you will eventually stop skipping steps . . . if you survive!

This is an impulse we all have, and we all have to fight. Keep asking yourself as you train: what am I teaching her right now? Pay attention and your horse will tell you what she needs. Pay attention to your own goals and aims and desire to have fun, and watch your training fall apart.

As a 4-H horse kid some things were impressed on me so deeply that I can't even imagine behaving differently. Including,

Always take care of your horse before yourself.
Always leave gates open that were open and close gates that were closed.
Never canter on the way home.

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
Adding to @Avna 's advice..

Pick your battles, like NOT where there are ditches or barbed wire in the way.

NEVER ask for one more thing, we tried out first ever canter 3 loop serpentine, with simple change this week, went down the arena, came back..coach said "That should have felt great, want to do it again?"

My answer "God no!!!" We finished the lesson there and then, gave her lots of fuss and hopefully she felt nearly as good as I did.

NEVER canter towards home, is great advice, but not always practical, I get the whole up hill thing, though, so I would be out there walking or walk trotting the loop, until she can do it on a loose rein, before you add canter back in again. When you do start, ask for the transition, then take her back down again.

Do you have an arena or school you can use to get back to basics with her?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Adding to @Avna 's advice..

Pick your battles, like NOT where there are ditches or barbed wire in the way.

NEVER ask for one more thing, we tried out first ever canter 3 loop serpentine, with simple change this week, went down the arena, came back..coach said "That should have felt great, want to do it again?"

My answer "God no!!!" We finished the lesson there and then, gave her lots of fuss and hopefully she felt nearly as good as I did.

NEVER canter towards home, is great advice, but not always practical, I get the whole up hill thing, though, so I would be out there walking or walk trotting the loop, until she can do it on a loose rein, before you add canter back in again. When you do start, ask for the transition, then take her back down again.

Do you have an arena or school you can use to get back to basics with her?
yeah, issue is she hates the school and still misbehaves in there, I would rather let her have a bit of fun on the trails and deal with the issue there since she seems to work the other way round to most horses in that what I teach her on the trails helps her twice as much in the school, where as schooling just seems to get her in a bad mood, I've been walking and working on softness in the field though, like I said, and that helped until I ruined it at the very end xD...

luckily tho I've already worked loads on keeping her calm on the way home, tbh I quite like taking little videos of her going up the path so its no hands the whole way atm... ill try keeping her very focused in the canter, won't let her rush... she doesn't keep cantering long enough for me to do much of it but ill shorten it to only a few strides up the hill incase.. thanks so much!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.