Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Press Release from the Equine Welfare Alliance
Wyoming’s State Rep. Sue Wallis Caught in Tornado of Controversy and Rumor

Mountain Grove, MO (EWA) – A bizarre chain of events has followed the contentious meeting of the Mountain Grove City Council on March 6th concerning the Unified Equine proposal to build a horse slaughter plant near the town.

Unified Equine CEO Sue Wallis claimed that the project would be a 50% partnership with Belgian company Chevideco, and that they would invest $6 to $7 million in a plant that would be designed by Dr. Temple Grandin.
But during the meeting city residents became inflamed by a presentation given by attorney Cynthia MacPherson, cataloging the pollution and crime that Chevideco’s Dallas Crown facility had brought to the town of Kaufman Texas.

When banker Roger Lindsey rose to defend the project he was shouted down and left the meeting. The unanticipated public anger touched off a series of events. First, the director of the Mountain Grove YMCA announced that he would no longer permit Sue Wallis to hold a planned meeting there on the following Monday.

On her facebook page, Wallis explained this apparent snub by saying “We have not spoken to him directly, but it is my understanding that the YMCA director received death threats to his family, and to sponsors of his organization, We have heard directly from other community members that they have received threatening letters just for publicly expressing their support for the project.”

EWA contacted the Missouri State Police, the Mountain Grove police department and the YMCA director, Chad Watson. State police captain Duane Isringhausen, told EWA’s John Holland that he had received no such reports. The Mountain Grove police said they had heard the report and investigated but that they could find no evidence of threats being made to anyone. YMCA director Chad Watson said he had received no threats and had moved the meeting when he learned of its subject. “This place is for the children”, said Watson.

Wallis announced that the meeting had been moved to the Wright County Livestock Auction, and that while the public was welcome, anyone being “disrespectful” would be evicted. On March 10th the auction owner, Nathan Kelly, said the meeting would be closed to the press. Kelly said he had been “lambasted” by people opposed to the project.

MacPherson told EWA that she is encouraging people to stay away from the Wallis meeting; however postings on the popular Topix blog show some residents plan a peaceful protest outside the auction.

The media ban was not the end of this bizarre episode. In subsequent interviews, Wallis was quoted contradicting her earlier claims of backing from Chevideco saying that she did not have an agreement, and that she would likely depend on local investors. This revelation follows the earlier statement by Grandin that she knew nothing of the project.

EWA’s John Holland summed up the situation saying “It now appears that Wallis, rather than bringing millions of investment dollars into the area, intends instead to borrow millions from the people of Missouri to have someone who had not been told of the project build them a horse slaughter plant that they don’t want! What could go wrong with that?

·
Banned
4,289 Posts
So you have a problem with facts then? That's what this release is reporting.:)
Facts? I certianly have no problem with facts. But as a former Public Information Officer for over 15 years with the federal government who has issued literally thousands of press releases, I can honestly tell you that very few press releases issued by governmental units or private organizations with or without political agendas are "factual', and it is naive to think they are. Heck, even supposed neutral articles (not press releases) appearing in the media are rarely factual due to the ignorance or incompetence of the journalists authoring the articles...

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
The OP read more like an editorial than a press release.

Reactions: Cherie

·
Banned
4,289 Posts
I'm assuming then... all you lovely HF members can point out the facts for us? Since we know not what we speak.
OK, here's a fact. The decision whether or not to permit the construction of a plant to slaughter horses or to modify an existing plant in the Mountain Grove area is a local decision that should be made by local residents. EWA, the issuer of the press release, has nothing to do with the Mountain Grove community, nor does it have an interest in the community. It is a private organization, based out of Illinios, with a political agenda, and has entered a local debate in which they are not a shareholder.

Here is another fact...if a person reading that "press release" cannot determine that EWA has an established political agenda, and cannot identify the bias statements made in the release, that person needs to dust off their **** and Jane readers.

Perhaps you or others don't mind outsiders with political agendas dictating to your local community what you should or should not do, however I and many people resent outsiders, be they EWA, PETA, or the Bunnylickers of America, sticking their noses where they don't belong...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Perhaps you or others don't mind outsiders with political agendas dictating to your local community what you should or should not do, however I and many people resent outsiders, be they EWA, PETA, or the Bunnylickers of America, sticking their noses where they don't belong...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Bunnylickers of America :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

you know, they put up such a big stink about a horse slaughter plant, but having more of them might actually create better regulations to prevent non-'raised for slaughter' horses from being purchased off of race tracks and from auctions from becoming horse meat. And creating stricter rules on how they're allowed to be slaughtered and processed.

I don't see any Cattle Welfare of America groups protesting every time they want to put up another beef slaughter house. Or a Swine Welfare of America group protesting the bacon on your table. If they really want to get something done right they should be protesting the FDA for not keeping up with what is going on well enough. Other than that they need to go back to eating their wheat grass and leaving everyone else alone.

·
Registered
13,945 Posts
"MOUNTAIN GROVE, Mo. -- The photo on the big TV screen of scrapped horse organs and heads piled in the dirt spurred gasps from the overflow crowd crammed into this town’s senior center.

But attorney Cynthia MacPherson, leading the charge against a horse slaughter plant here, was just getting started.

“People there had horse blood coming up into their toilets!” she stormed at the meeting last week...

...There was yelling and finger-pointing, a rant about immigrants and a tussle at the door.

“We can’t let people steamroll in here and do this!” MacPherson, a former prosecutor, bellowed. “Does Mountain Grove want to be known as the horse slaughter capital of the world?”

“No!” the packed house roared.

With the crowd fired up, it was the other side’s turn. But neither company pushing the project had anyone there."
Later:
"But she kept going.

Most employees at the slaughter plant would likely be undocumented Hispanic immigrants, she told the group.

“That’s nothing against Hispanics because they are good, hard workers,” she said.

She then talked about how crime would probably skyrocket. Residents would no longer be able to walk their neighborhoods at night. Sexual assaults could increase."
Mountain Grove, Mo., protests the idea of horse slaughter plant - KansasCity.com

The article above is actually pretty good for a press report. It give a whole different picture than the "press release", doesn't it?

Horse blood squirting out of toilets? YGBSM! And them darn Hispanics, comin' in and rapin' & killin' and stealin'...

"I tell you, we've got trouble. Right here in Mt Grove. It starts with an "H" and ends in a rape..."

Guess that is what passes for political discourse anymore. :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
If horse blood is coming out of the toilets they have plumbing problems NOT slaughter problems. I worked at a beef slaughter plant in a small community and it helped the town far more than it hurt it. Were there hispanics that moved into the town to work at the plant? Certainly, but they were good hard-working people. The plant used every single bit of the animal. They surely didn't throw any parts away.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Facts? I certianly have no problem with facts. But as a former Public Information Officer for over 15 years with the federal government who has issued literally thousands of press releases, I can honestly tell you that very few press releases issued by governmental units or private organizations with or without political agendas are "factual', and it is naive to think they are. Heck, even supposed neutral articles (not press releases) appearing in the media are rarely factual due to the ignorance or incompetence of the journalists authoring the articles...
Oh, my bad - I forgot horse eaters wouldn't know a fact if they fell over one.

So as a 20-year PR veteran, I'll point those pesky things out for those unsure of the definition.....

On her facebook page, Wallis explained this apparent snub by saying “We have not spoken to him directly, but it is my understanding that the YMCA director received death threats to his family, and to sponsors of his organization, We have heard directly from other community members that they have received threatening letters just for publicly expressing their support for the project.”

EWA contacted the Missouri State Police, the Mountain Grove police department and the YMCA director, Chad Watson. State police captain Duane Isringhausen, told EWA’s John Holland that he had received no such reports. The Mountain Grove police said they had heard the report and investigated but that they could find no evidence of threats being made to anyone. YMCA director Chad Watson said he had received no threats and had moved the meeting when he learned of its subject. “This place is for the children”, said Watson.

·
Registered
13,945 Posts
Many people who were 'not born just yesterday' have lived a lifetime of denial.
Others spend a lifetime slinging bull.

Here is another hint for you, even if you ARE "a 20-year PR veteran" and I'm just a retired military officer:

Calling folks "horse eaters" is about as impressive a PR effort as suggesting that a meat packing place will cause horse blood to turn your toilet red, or that 'hard working' Mexicans will come and "Residents would no longer be able to walk their neighborhoods at night. Sexual assaults could increase."

What's next...will horses' heads show up in our beds, a la The Godfather?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello Faceman,

Are you saying that you lied for the government for 15 years and so nobody should trust EWA? I happen to agree with you that the government, and even the mainstream media publish lies every day, but that is the very reason we exist.

Take this situation. The local media printed every work Sue Wallis said as if it were true. Now it turns out almost none of it was! The local paper was the worst of all, making it sound like great news.

Well, you said we have nothing to do with Mountain Grove. The fact is that the folks there did not believe the paper and did not want a slaughter house. They contacted us and asked us if we had anything to help them fight it.

Well, it turns out the former mayor of Kaufman Texas who fought against Dallas Crown for years is a very good friend of mine. She gave them reams of data about that place, and we gave them data on other locations.

Every single thing we presented was accompanied by a documented source.

Someone here said the blood in the toilets was "rich". Maybe so, but it happened. Dallas Crown was having trouble clogging up their drains, so they put a pump on them to force it down. It pushed the clog down the main line until it hit the branch to other houses. The blood and waste then took the easier route up into the houses.

So I see all these comments based entirely on conjecture about the messengers in all this and nobody actually checking facts. That is what we do and we welcome your checking what we say.

The horse slaughter business is little better than organized crime. It runs rough shod over communities, abets horse theft and has no respect for anyone or anything. Some here may wish it were otherwise, but that is the way it is and we have spent a decade documenting it.

By the way, the EWA is all volunteer. None of us is paid and we have represent over 200 member organizations, mostly rescues. You accused us of promoting our own "agenda". In deed we do, and our agenda is that we love equines and hate liars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Others spend a lifetime slinging bull.

Here is another hint for you, even if you ARE "a 20-year PR veteran" and I'm just a retired military officer:

Calling folks "horse eaters" is about as impressive a PR effort as suggesting that a meat packing place will cause horse blood to turn your toilet red, or that 'hard working' Mexicans will come and "Residents would no longer be able to walk their neighborhoods at night. Sexual assaults could increase."

What's next...will horses' heads show up in our beds, a la The Godfather?

Are you or are you not supporting the eating of horses?

PR Note: Your picture only serves to exacerbate your lack of understanding of the seriousness of this situation and the undue suffering this industry causes our equine partners.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.