The Horse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its definately getting wintery so just thought i'd ask does anyone drive with a sliegh? does it differ at all to a cart or carriage in its handling? how do the horses cope with icy roads? does anyone use sledges to take hay out to feilds, etc. pictures please if possible, lets see some snow on screen ( but not outside i hope!)

·
Registered
39 Posts
we drive sleighs all winter, the Horse are ok on ice just take it slow. I like the way sleighs handle in snow, they are alot more peacefull and quiet

1,165 Posts
I am going to "eves-drop" in on this thread, I'd like to hear what people have to say. :D

I would love to get a little sleigh, but for now I have my eye out for a good sled to hook up for some winter fun! Any one out there have comments/suggestions on that as well?

·
Registered
39 Posts
It is fun. What size of horse are you planning on hooking to a sleigh. I have built them for everysize of horse and could maybe give you some ideas
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
I had a nice little sleigh but used it maybe once a year, not enough snow.

I gave it to my sister that lives outside Aspen. I think she uses it all the time up there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just posted some pics of wagons and carts I have built. Minis are fun to drive just have good harness and good equipment and if your not comfortable ask for help the first couple times
Posted via Mobile Device

1,165 Posts
5percherons, love that first wagon, very nice, and the 2nd one looks like the seat is very comfy.
My husband and I have good experience under our belts, we have trained all six of our minis to drive. He also designed and built me a custom cart, I'll post a pic of it here....

2008_07064thJulyPARADE0027.jpg

Love to pick your brain! You have built sleighs as well?
What did you use for your runners, and do you find there is a specific length that drives the best?

Does it make a difference where the center of gravity is, and/or height off the ground?

·
Registered
96 Posts
i havent yeeeet, but you bet your bottom this winter i'm gunna try. i just brought home a Draft cross who is dead broke to drive and i cant wait to try her out first snowfall!! i will post pics then!

·
Registered
993 Posts
Please post pictures of your sleighs! :)And if you built them post pictures and instructions!:wink: I've been trying to build something that my pony can pull, and I'd LOVE to see what everybody else does or has done!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts