The Horse Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
A friend has given me an old Martin 1600 saddle the leather is very hard, and slippery. Do you have any recommendations to soften it up and make it not like an ice rink?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
24,113 Posts
Lots of oil, and 'working' the leather - manipulating it gently - will 'bring it back', if it's not too far gone. If it's too slippery for you, I'm guessing your 'seat' needs to be a bit better. You can use a 'seat saver' - a sheepskin(or some sort) pad that you can attach on top for a 'non slip' surface.

·
Premium Member
13,172 Posts

Sheepskin covers. Various sizes. Back when my horse would spook at ANYTHING, I called them "butt velcro"! They make them for English saddles too.

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,143 Posts
I really like Oakwood leather conditioner. I too have a very slick saddle, and applying a good buttering of this regularly keeps it in good shape and adds grip without making it feel actually "sticky." I like it for my tall boots for the same reason! It has oils and beeswax in it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the responses. I will hit this hard with a few of the leather cleaner/conditioners you mentioned to see if it softens the leather at all. I have not been able to try it out yet due to the slippery-ness.
Thank you very much!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey all - finally getting around to cleaning this saddle. I’m using the rough side of a sponge and glycerine saddle soap and and some water. I’m not sure what color the saddle should be... I am getting down to a lighter color but I don’t know if that’s what I should try and achieve for the whole saddle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts