The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I need to buy a slow-feed bag for Moonshine. The ones I've seen around the barn seem to be prone to falling apart. Can anyone recommend a brand that is known for its durability? I don't want to say money is no object, but I'd rather spent more money and have something that would actually last.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
36,133 Posts
We found that the small hole nets hung from a purpose made frame worked better than the bags and the net itself is cheaper to replace.
We’ve since invested in slow feeders for hay, one type has a plastic grille and they supply you with spares, the other has a metal grille, I think that one works better.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I have about 8 haynets in my barn (not counting the ones used for trailering) though I only use about 3 at any given time. I've bought all kinds, and they often fell apart. The best ones I've bought so far are these: https://www.handyhaynets.com/ They have lasted over a year and still look brand new. I like the medium size (4-6 flakes) because I can open them up and drape them over a large muck bucket to fill them. Prices are actually very reasonable given the high quality. Cheap ones did not last more than a month or two.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have actually had the best luck with the Tough-1 slow feed net 42" brand. I have been using mine about 4 years now. The tie string usually breaks, and I just retie or replace with cheap cord. They are sun faded, but other than that no other problems. For the amount of nets I need, they are the most cost efficient. I only use them during the winter and on a couple horses I keep put up at night year round.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
We have purchased many different slow feed systems over the years. My favorite place now is on the book of faces and is called DIYhaynets and their website is diynets.net . Their nets are strong and durable and they have so many different feeding systems that fit almost every scenario. My favorite so far is the D Hoop feeder with the quick release latch. I love it. And it can hold up to an entire bale of hay - I am going to purchase another one before winter and move away from the others I Have in my run ins. That model is super easy to load and latch and the net so far has lasted about 8 months with no wear and our older mare eats out of it daily.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hay Chix are the best in my opinion. We have 3 half bale bags and a 6x6 round bale net. They're the only thing we use at rides because the horses don't end up dropping all of their hay on the ground with them like they do with the cheaper ones.

·
Super Moderator
14,686 Posts
These are what I use now...and from where I purchase them. This is 2 different nets ...
The first net pictured is small in capacity I found only holding 2 heavy flakes. I use this in my trailer as it is just "smaller"...
The second picture is what I use when going to be gone for much of the day and horses need fed...large holds easy 4 solid big flakes with much longer tie string if you need that!
https://www.chicksaddlery.com/search-results?Search=slow+feeder+hay+nets

When on sale I buy several, sales prices are fantastic prices.. {sale going on now!}
I find they last, with small holes as they have they really slow down my piglet which needs done.
Left to eat his fill he can and has consumed 2 full squares all by himself...that is just ridiculous and being a pig.
My one horse is a quarter horse paint...not a Shire Draft horse! :icon_rolleyes:
So far, one net is now on year 3, the other net on year 1...
The other ones that earned the trash can were from here still lasting 3 years of continuous use. I did have to make minor repairs but still, they lasted. https://www.chicksaddlery.com/slow-feed-small-mesh-hay-bag
This one is $4.99 and was what I started with when using slow-feed.
It has a 2" opening so you bet the horses consume a lot more hay with this than the others..
At this price, you don't expect them to last long, but they did better than anticipated in longevity and was a good transition net to true small opening to eat from.
Chicks has many choices and price ranges for the slow-feed and ultra slow-feed nets...
They also have regular rope hay nets of yesteryear when you want it off the ground but no restrictions on quantity eaten.
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I have one horse that destroys hay nets. She deliberately bites the twine until it snaps and then she can stuff herself silly.

I'm making a hay feeder like this:

I may make one that attaches to the fence so i can push the hay between slats. I picked up wood so now i just need to finish the design. The other question is what hole size to make the openings. I have a 3" cutter for the round holes but that might be too big.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I want to start using something because I realized my BO either fed an entire bale of alfalfa to our two horses in less than 2 days or he fed the other boarders horses out of my supply. If I fill my own hay nets then I wouldn't have to worry about it!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Gonna throw this out there from my equine dentist: Hay net's/bags can cause the very middle edges of both l1 incisors to wear more as the horse pulls hay out of the bag, and sometimes pulls the bag (accidentally or to 'shake' hay out of the bag.) Looks like this:

I saw this firsthand in my own horse, and I know she doesn't crib or have other chewing vices (dentist asked me that.) I asked if that 'sometimes happens naturally over time regardless of a hay bag' and I was told not usually. I suspect this has something to do with how densely packed the hay bag was combined with how long the strands of grass were. Be smarter than me! =)

Edit: I like the looks of that horsefeed box. I was looking for a solution like that.

·
Super Moderator
14,686 Posts
My horses have had no negative effects to their teeth noticed by me or my "dentist".
Granted it has been only 3+ years of use...
If your horses are having that much wear to their teeth in one years time... :|

In honesty, I see just as much chance for "wear and tear" to the teeth on the slow-feed box as on a net...
The same grab, tug & pull is taking effect over time just not from hanging position but from a floor feeding destination.
I think you may have hit on the combination though that presented that....overstuffed nets and having to yank, grab and wrestle the bag in agitation to getting something to eat.

:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I've been using them for four years now, and have noticed no effects on their teeth - and they are checked and floated every year by the vet. And there is grabbing and shaking aplenty at my place! Are you sure this isn't from the metal grates people sometimes use in slow feeders? I know using metal is a big no-no.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I wouldn't use any slow feeder with any kind of grate metal or plastic. It wears the enamel off the top teeth over time.

There was a horse vet/dentist that had pictures of damaged teeth, from grate slow feeders. I know many who use nets with no issues with teeth wear.

Wouldn't touch a grate type feeder with a ten foot pole NO NO absolutely not!

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
I've seen mineral block (salt block, sulfur block - any block) wear teeth. So, not a surprise that for some constant use of a net could cause damage. Depends on the net (any type of hay feeder except the rings or huts) , the horse and the amount of time they actually use it.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
I can't say enough good things about the Haychix hay bags. They are made tough and with a lot of thought into the design. I have half bale, full bale, a couple of mini bags for the horse trailer and a couple of round bale sized. They have a calculator of sorts on their web page to help you figure out what size opening you should get. Very helpful chix.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.