The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,753 Posts
Not sure what but have some ideas...
Regardless of what it is, personal hygiene...yours...is very important when working with this animal as you find what this is.
Possibly a bacterial skin infection or fungus you are also suspect-able to catching it and losing your hair off your body or getting lesions...
Diligently wash your hands and clothes in soapy water that kills bacteria and yuck.
Just using laundry detergent and hand soap should do the trick.

As for the horse....giving a wash with a shampoo that has anti-bacterial properties would not be remiss or wrong.
Repeat in a few days time and don't forget to also wash all her grooming equipment, if you've been riding her saddle pads and any blankets/sheets recently shes had on.
Better to be safe and proactive than have a massive spread out of control.
🐴....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what but have some ideas...
Regardless of what it is, personal hygiene...yours...is very important when working with this animal as you find what this is.
Possibly a bacterial skin infection or fungus you are also suspect-able to catching it and losing your hair off your body or getting lesions...
Diligently wash your hands and clothes in soapy water that kills bacteria and yuck.
Just using laundry detergent and hand soap should do the trick.

As for the horse....giving a wash with a shampoo that has anti-bacterial properties would not be remiss or wrong.
Repeat in a few days time and don't forget to also wash all her grooming equipment, if you've been riding her saddle pads and any blankets/sheets recently shes had on.
Better to be safe and proactive than have a massive spread out of control.
🐴....
thank you so much for your reply x

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
Agree with @horselovinguy. I brought a pony home and discovered a little while later that she had a major lice infestation. Not sure this is lice or fungus, but either way, you'll want to isolate this horse (I ended up having to treat all three of my horses for lice, but it went away) and take all the precautions above. Specifically, don't share brushes or tack, don't touch her, then transfer on to another horse, etc.

Best thing to do is to culture the spots and see what you're dealing with. However, I will say that the first vet who came and examined my pony said she didn't have parasites. But when my older gelding lost a bunch of hair on his face, we brought in another vet, and sure enough, there was lice all over them. The good news is that lice does not carry over to humans, and was easy to treat. However, you may well be dealing with a fungus like rain rot, which is harder to treat, so you really need to find out what it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agree with @horselovinguy. I brought a pony home and discovered a little while later that she had a major lice infestation. Not sure this is lice or fungus, but either way, you'll want to isolate this horse (I ended up having to treat all three of my horses for lice, but it went away) and take all the precautions above. Specifically, don't share brushes or tack, don't touch her, then transfer on to another horse, etc.

Best thing to do is to culture the spots and see what you're dealing with. However, I will say that the first vet who came and examined my pony said she didn't have parasites. But when my older gelding lost a bunch of hair on his face, we brought in another vet, and sure enough, there was lice all over them. The good news is that lice does not carry over to humans, and was easy to treat. However, you may well be dealing with a fungus like rain rot, which is harder to treat, so you really need to find out what it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your help what did you use to treat the lice ? My horse has always been kept on her own she not been around any other horses or pets . X

·
Registered
3 Posts
Most Skin blemishes come from a whole multitude of things. However, good horse management normally fixes these things quickly. Presuming you are not riding him anymore, ensure you are dry grooming him at least once a day. Morning and Evening are great. Every 3 days bath the horse with Horse Shampoo and make sure you thoroughly towel dry them before grooming them

For this specific issue. Buy some Hibiclens soap / Hexene. Rub in all over body every 3 days and leave on horse for 15 minutes then wash off then when completely dry, groom your horse. After two weeks you shouldn't have any further issues. Older Horses need more care and attention. Although regular grooming, washing, checking teeth and diet maintenance normally take care of all that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts