The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The problem is small, not the saddle. Actually, the saddle is quite large which there in lies the problem!

I currently have a big, bulky, leather western saddle. I don't like carrying it around, it's to heavy for my physical strenght, and it's very hard and uncomfortable. Up until now, I didn't want to part with it for sentimental reasons but now I'm fed up with it.

So my question is, I found a saddle I really like the look of but is it a good deal? I have no clue about the quality of these things but I think a lot of you know so much about this. And should I go synthetic? I want a light saddle but don't know if this would be a waste of money and not last long because I have very little knowledge on synthetic saddles and have heard mixed reviews. Thanks so much, if you can't read the words in the description I'll post them here. Also, if I have to I'll pay more but I like the price of this saddle. Any suggestions are really appreciated.

Take care

Here it is:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Don't buy a cheap saddle!! Any saddle that is $250 is junk in my opinion. I haven't seen this particular saddle but I have seen enough saddles that people got a "deal" on that were awful saddles. You generally get what you pay for when you buy saddles.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
If you want a light weight, easy to clean, good price synthetic saddle, I would look at Abetta, on horseloverz.com .

Thats where I got my western Abetta, and I LOVE It.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, thanks for your replies! I was hoping to be able to keep my budget small without scrimping on quality. I forgot to mention I'll be using it only every second or third weekend it that makes a difference. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
787 Posts
For synthetic westerns, Big Horn before they were bought by Amierican (not sure about after) & Fabtron have reputations as better fitting trees than Abetta and Wnitec.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ride western every now and then and I love my Abetta. It is a synthetic and I throw it around and give it the worst spot in the tack roomand it sill has held up great and I got it used! It is very versatile with diffrent horses and extrmley light. My friend got an Aussie and hated it, it didnt fit any of the horses and gave her horrible posture.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I don't know much about synthetic saddles but if you were looking for a decent leather saddle that didn't weigh as much as you do, you might look at used trail or barrel saddles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i have a all purpose saddle but it's cowhide leather. just bought it a couple of months ago. seldom use it. it doest seems like fit my horse very well.
if anyone one need it, just contact me via [email protected] gmail.com,
you may bargain. haha.

·
Premium Member
12,961 Posts
I've never seen anything good written about inexpensive synthetic australian-style saddles. I'd go with Abetta or Big Horn, etc.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Either an Abetta (love mine) or a good used leather saddle with a trimmer cut like some endurance styles, a Sharon Saare is pictured here (with the wrong stirrups on it).

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Because of how they are made I recommend a Big Horn. There are many used ones for sell. Big Horn is leather in the forks seat jockeys and cantle. Everything else is cordura nylon. The hardware is good and the stirrups system is strong.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Because of how they are made I recommend a Big Horn. There are many used ones for sell. Big Horn is leather in the forks seat jockeys and cantle. Everything else is cordura nylon. The hardware is good and the stirrups system is strong.
Personally I don't care for the mixed leather and cordura one's. I don't like the feel of a dropping from a leather jockey to a soft fender. and the weight difference between an all cordura makes it less desirable to me. Lose comfort, gain weight (is that the story of my life?)

I'd just as soon go all cordura, or all leather.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.