The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used SmartCalm Ultra Pellets? If so, did they work? My horse has separation anxiety and I was hoping this product would work for him. Any thoughts or comments?......

·
Registered
45 Posts
Love them. It took that extra little edge off my horse. Hes still got some spook to him but he no longer does circles in his stalls and his separation anxiety has majorly decreased. We went to a show last week where he ended up being stabled alone from his buddies and he settled right in after like 20 minutes instead of pacing and making noise all day. It also helped him to gain weight since he's not freaking out all the time.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
It took the edge off my guy too. He still had his moments where if something set him off (busy warmup arena at first day of show with horses running into him) but it has really helped the majority of the time. We started him on it because he was on stall rest and was being dangerously energetic (running off on lead with stud chain, kicked me) and it helped so much we kept him on it.

·
Administrator
35,675 Posts
I used them on a horse that got very anxious in the field when we first got her and they worked really well and helped her to deal with the new things in her life here though to be honest her biggest improvement came when I stopped feeding alfalfa pellets.
I don't use the supplement any more as she seems to be over her problems

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
I really believe magnesium has helped my young horse (I've used several different supplements with magnesium in them). I even let him run out for a couple of weeks and his behavior started getting questionable again so I put him back on it.

He's not a bad horse, but he's only 5 and sorta spooky, especially riding alone. So yeah, I am a believer.

Maybe some day I can wean him off of it, but not yet.

I would guess Smart Calm Ultra has a goodly dose of magnesium in it, most of them do. I only tried one supplement that had a very low magnesium dose in it (VitaCalm I believe) and I don't think it did much for him. I didn't try it for very long, just a 4oz dose before a couple of rides ride (per package instructions) and I don't think it helped. But I am giving magnesium daily and I do think it helps. And lunging when he's had time off. And not overfeeding the alfalfa (about 1/2 his diet is alfalfa).

·
Registered
72 Posts
I use vita cell sold by horse.com and smart pak. It's the only vitamin supplement ive found with high levels of both mag and cal (shown to help ease nervousness as well) and has NO iron. We have high iron well water and to much has Ill effects.

AWESOME PRODUCT!!! Been on it a month and everyone comments how calm he is. He's 6yr is green broke and he and his mom both showed high nerves when I bought him. He had me convinced he would run me down if something caught his eye. Desensituzing no effect on him. Be fine one day then spook the v next. I coyld not v ride.

Now only motorcycles spook him, and husband's truck when he's a jerk and speeds past us v on the v road.

Did first trail ride today through woods, had not rode in a year. Was nervous toward deep valleys but not spooking at ANYTHING! thank heavens!

Also been doing groundwork wirh a trainer to help us both build a better relationship. That's helped to, but not without the vita cell.

No extras in it besides vitamins plus it's yummy pellet form.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts