The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to start my 6 y.o. on a preventative joint supplement because of his conformation. I am looking for something preferably pelleted, although I can deal with powder, and relatively inexpensive, but effective. I was considering SmartFlex I Maintenance, but I don't like that it doesn't have Condroitin Sulfate in it. Does anyone have any experience with this supplement? I recently started my 20 y.o. on SmartFlex Sr. but it's only been 2 weeks so I can't really tell if it's working yet. I'm trying to get all the horses in my barn on SmartPaks cause they're so much easier. Does anybody have any suggestions for a good preventative joint supplement other than SmartFlex I?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks sillybunny I did look at the comparison charts, and I've been studying joint supplements for years but I've always dealt with horses that already needed the supplement because of being sore/stiff, not just as preventative maintenance. Also, you read so much about different studies that were done and some say you need the condroitin with the glucosamine and some say you can just use one or the other and some say you need vitamin c to help the body absorb the glucosamine. I just wondered if anybody had any experience with this particular supplement and if it worked for them, or if another one worked better for a young horse in light work. Thanks again for your reply.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
I'm also using just plain old SmartMSM. It seems to work well at much less cost than more multi formula joint supplements. I doubt you can wrong with a Smartpak brand. All the ones I've tried have been great.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Ive never herd a vet say to give just MSM for anything. But I think the sulfate in it is suposed to have effects on the joints. If you are worried about studies your reading online the best thing to do is to talk to your vet about it before you shell out the cash.

My vet just told me to put my mare on something with glucosamine condroitin, and maybe msm in it (shes got navicular.) There is no real proven dose ATM for alot of these joint products (glucosamine, msm, condroitin, HA) and obviously there are alot of conflicting studies and articles out there. My vet specializes in lameness issues, so I trust what she suggests has worked with her other clients. (She has an older horse as well.)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everybody for the replies! I was kind of thinking along those lines of just the MSM since he's not ridden very much and doesn't have any lameness issues. And I've heard many great things about the SmartPak line of supplements so I have complete faith in them.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I have had great luck so far with Acti-Flex 4000. It's a liquid, so easy to mix in feed, and it's very effective for me. I have two friends who use it as well and see great results. For preventative, you can give just a 1/2 dose of this supplement, as it's very high in all of the ingredients. That's what I do for two of my horses. The one that's mildly arthritic gets a full 1 oz and showed signs of improvement in less than a week!!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
i would suggest something with glucosamine condroitin ... that is what i use and i love it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.