The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 yo APHA gelding diagnosed with caudal heel pain in his left front and an incorrect plantar angle causing a broke back coffin joint. We have been trying various therapeutic shoeing but vet has suggested giving bute to help the slight favoring still of the left front. I will bute short term for exercise but long term I am uncomfortable with that due to the serious side effects.

So--I'm putting him on smarthoof circulate made by smartpack aka smartsox. I have heard some great reviews from many on this as its designed specifically for heel pain. It promotes circulation for healing, and natural anti-inflammatory for pain and antioxidants for soft tissue. I understand some it hasn't work for but some of those have had good experience with bute-less aka B-L. Smarthoof circulate is guaranteed to work or your money back so I'm going to give it a try as it has more of what I would like for him. And if he improves, its worth it.

He does ok at the w/t/c in soft footing but has a slight limp on the harder ground in his left front. Most can't see it, but I feel it. Those well experienced can see he picks it up quicker than his right. And he short steps on the hills and tries to rush them. Please tell me your experience with this supplement and if it didn't work, what helped in your case. Also--any other tips to help with navicular would be much appreciated as I'm having a great deal of trouble hearing back from my vet. They are very experienced and good but hence very busy.

Thanks in advance for your time and help for my sweet boy!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Phura!
You mentioned that it promotes circulation for healing. An idea is to try hoof boots with a good sole to help facilitate blood flow and hoof flexion is another extrinsic way of seeing results. In my experience, many people have been able to reduce the dosage of bute because of the additional comfort that the boots provide. The Easyboot Transition is a newer boot style that has a really scientific sole. Check it out and maybe check with your vet to see if it's something that could really work for you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.