Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone !
I just wanted to know what everyone's opinion's are for a copper d-ring snaffle with a copper mouth,
I am looking to purchase one, but what are the pro's and con's of having a copper mouth ?
Any additional opinion's and such are very appreciated

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Copper mouths are great but get a good quality one. I had a copper dee ring and the copper was too soft. You could see bite marks in it, and had a sharp edge from the wear.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I would shop for a brand name one. Might be a little more expensive but it will last. Its hard to tell without looking at the bit, and trying to scratch the copper.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Both my horses prefer copper over stainless steel (personal experience :) ).

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
The main idea of the mixed steel/copper mouth is that the two metals, connected by the horse's saliva, create a reaction producing a real tiny "charge" It is too weak to feel, but that charge produces a "flavor" that horses seem to like. This "flavor" helps the horse salivate.

I don't know what discipline you ride, but bits that mix these metals are illegal in dressage. You can have a mouth that is all copper, but no mouths where the two metals are inside the mouth together.

All that being said, as long as the copper pieces are level/flat on the bit, it will be fine. If you pull the bit back and forth at all, the lack of smoothness will be felt on the horse's bars, making it a bit more severe. The bit you show looks like a workable bit.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you explain what you mean a more workable bit ?

I plan on just doing Jumpers, Maybe just dressage at home since my horse is not what they look for in dressage.

But overall i ride english :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.