The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. Beau was blowing snot out of his nose for like.. two days then stopped. He's barely coughing at all anymore. Getting much better.
However.
Whatever we initially thought was heaves or IAD, I am beginning to think that is not the case. It's honestly looking more like a chronic lung infection. He sometimes has shallow breathing but mostly only after exercise, if at all. Only once at rest (onset of problems).
The snot color is either opaque white, yellow, or white with a green tint. Which tells me there is indeed an infection. From what I've seen, heaves horses usually have clear snot? (Please correct me if this is untrue).
There is one other horse that started coughing just a little bit after Beau did, and they just happen to share a paddock. The third horse in their paddock had an allergic reaction to her stall bedding, which has now been changed to straw and she is doing just fine. (Gosh they're just full of sickness)
He has been on a few different antibiotics for about two months now, and is finally showing improvement. He did have a low grade fever the first time he had a breathing problem.
He is no longer on bronchiodialators or anti-inflammatories or cough syrup. Only antihistamines and a low dose of antibiotics (I think). He's been on that for about a week and is doing fine, he only had one day of coughing (only about 4 times, once when I was doing a breathing exercise with him) about two days ago.

What do you guys think?
Yes, there has been a veterinarian working with us right from the beginning. I'm just trying to find out as much as I can.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Ironically there's very good article on snot color in the current issue of Practical Horseman. I only read a little of it, so I cannot answer your question, but it looks like it would help you determine if your horse's situation is more serious or not.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ironically there's very good article on snot color in the current issue of Practical Horseman. I only read a little of it, so I cannot answer your question, but it looks like it would help you determine if your horse's situation is more serious or not.
That would be awesome if I .. had it lmao D:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.