The Horse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love riding in the snow but my horses feet always get packed with snow!! She doesn't really seem to mind but I'm sure its not great for her feet or comfortable! I know they have those shoes with the snow pads in them but I do not want to buy them. I also know about cooking spray, but the cooking spray only seems to work for a few minutes and then the snow startes to get stuck in her feet again. Does anyone have any other ways to keep snow out of shod horses feet?

·
Registered
496 Posts
you could try wrapping them in vet wrap. idk as ive never dealt with snow being from tennessee!

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Wouldn't vaseline freeze? I have no idea what you could do. I have heard cooking spray is supposed to help but I've never tried that either-sounds a bit off to me anyways.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
No Vaseline works wonders. Personally, I would never use vet wrap.

Also there are special boots you can buy for your horse.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
i use vaseline & have never had any problems ! my hands do get cold when i put it on though

·
Registered
130 Posts
I live in Colorado and I always ride in the mounains when there is 3-4 feet of snow and what I do is pack vasoline on and around the frog and it also conditions the feet! :D

·
Registered
697 Posts
We just get the farrier to put pads under the shoes, there cheep, reusable, and work great. If I don't use those I just use Vaseline.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts