The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
woo! no pictures yet as i am still waiting on all 98923482948 of them to load up ahaha
http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/somethings-not-quite-right-47693/ this is the original post for you guys that have not been tracking = )
so heres the story on the birth.
we went to walmart to get some 10$ ph strips. and we were gonna head hoem but we thought we would stop and check on snowflake and go ahead and test her milk. we get there and her vulva is all drippy. and she is HOT and sweaty. mom leaves me there and runs home to get the kids. and then the bag appears so i grab the camera (woo got the whole birth on video!) and what a waste of 10$ ph strips ahaha. but i'll let you see the pictures and videos for yourself. he is definitely a little ditzy as he wouldn't drink milk. he drank about 3 swallows. and that was after 3 hours of convincing him that he needed it. and she wouldn't stand still. she just wanted to keep licking him. but he LOVES people the birth went fantastic. although we have a little run in when she stood up and the afterbirth all came out and he was still attached! so we weren't sure what to do. so we got some fishing line and tied the umbilical cord about 4-6 inches from his tummy and then cut it off right above the line and covered it in Iodine. snowflake being the good mommy she is started eating the sac and the after birth. but we disposed of it.

i need names!!! come on. he's a darkly colored colt. not sure of his real color exactly. and let me know if you want every picture i got. although that would take several pages.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
alright pictures now videos later!! they are in completely random order as i used 3 different memory cards. and i have less pictures than i thought but i have tons of video footage when i find some palce where i can put more than 10 mins at a time. that way i don't have to mess with the quality of the videos

i got tons more comming!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok continued!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
He's just darling! Congrats!

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok i think this is the last set!
ok phew videos are definitely gonna have to wait untill tomarrow! as they are taking hours to upload to youtube!

alright so i need name suggestions!

and how did we do on the umbilical cord?

Attachments

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
He is absolutely adorable. No name suggestions cause I'm horrible at names unless I can get a feel for the personality. I want to come steal him ;p LOL. That lighter hair on his face and in his ears makes me wonder what color he will shed out to be.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Aww! I love babies! SOOOOO glad it worked out well! Quick question though, you didn't tie off the umbilical cord and leave it tied did you?

·
Registered
803 Posts
OH! And you might have to work with her a bit in the beginning, some mares teets get REALLY tender right after foaling. A friends mare has to be tied up at first so she'll let the foal nurse.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Jacksmama is right-- if you tied the cord off, make sure it gets untied. As long as its not bleeding it should be left open to dry up and heal. keep treating it with iodine or novolsan and it will shrivel up, and eventually fall off. It can take several weeks to totally fall off but it should start drying out in a day or so. Its longer than most cords that break naturally so I would be a little concerned about potential infection. If it is ever getting moister, smells bad, has a discharge, swells, etc. you need the vet ASAP because infection that comes in thru the cord into the foal's bloodstream can kill a foal.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I'm so glad everything went so great and glad you got to be there for the whole thing!!!!! Your new baby boy is gorgeous.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
He's adorable! I love the lil "scraped nose" snip, that's what Finn has. He is a doll! EastoWest covered your cord care pretty well, just make sure to dip it in the betadine daily until it dries off. Congrats!

·
Registered
735 Posts
He is darling. Looks like a big colt too. just for fun if you get a chance, measure his height in inches from withers to the ground-- I bet he is over 40 inches tall. (not sure how tall the mare is so i may be off, but he looks big and substantial for sure!)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Congrats! Hes one big boy. In the first few pictures he reminds me of a baby Moose. So I say Moose as a name. :)
Glad everything went well. Its amazing how horses do things without our assistance.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts