The Horse Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I was 3 when I got my first pony. Born into a horse family, so not really uncommon.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Conned my dad into buying me my own horse when I was 11. And since I got one, my Mom insisted she get one, too. And, of course, my 7 y/o sister had to have one as well.

We had been leasing 3 for a few years prior to that; I can't remember learning how to ride.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
15, then sold her a couple of years later getting ready for graduation and moving away from home. Next opportunity I had was at 24 (30 years ago) and I've not been horseless since.

·
Registered
584 Posts
15. I "leased" lesson horses for years prior though. And have been taking lessons since ~5

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was 30 when I got my first horse. I am now 32 and I just recently sold her. Now looking for horse #2 who I am hoping will be a better fit for me :)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I was 12 the first time. I was 58 when I bought my current mare. After a 40 year break, it feels like the first time all over again.
(I think that sounds like a song)
M

·
Registered
84 Posts
I got a pony at 7 years old as a bribe to stop sucking my thumb. Of course I did. I only had her for 8 months then we moved and sold her. I then bought a Chincoteague pony foal at age 11 with my savings. A very stupid thing for my parents to have allowed me to do as it was also allowed to stay a stallion.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
18, I was living out of home and had to pay for everything. My parents didn't know for 4 months lol
Haha same. I was 18 and still living with my parents when they finally confronted me after a few months thinking I was sneaking out of the house doing well...naughty activities. They were pretty relieved when they discovered I was leaving the house everyday because I had bought a horse.
I kept my horse hidden from my parents for over three years. I was living away from home, but in the same town. I also have their nosy friends on my Facebook who report my every move to them, however I managed to keep any mention of my horse off of my Facebook, as well. Ultimately, my sister was my undoing and told my parents about my horse...after I had specifically asked her not to.
My parents aren't horsey people and don't support it at all but they are nice about it like they ask how he is, what I have been doing with him, will I be competing soon and has anything changed. I am the only horse person in my entire family.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm still waiting for the big day. Leasing it my only alternative right now at 22 years young. I'm also still waiting for my Hogwarts letter...

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Leased from 14-18, then took a break as I was in college with rides here and there. Then my now husband bought me my filly just before my 24th birthday. He HATED horses, but knew I loved them and had fallen for this mare who I'd only seen online. We got lucky with a nice little mare who is technically the family horse (my two year old son points to her and says "my Izzie").

·
Registered
656 Posts
My daughter was 8 and I was mid-30's when we purchased our first horse. I bought her that horse with the knowledge that it was 100% my responsibility to ensure the horse is cared for. If/when my daughter goes to college, I'm prepared to continue caring for her horse until such time as she chooses to sell or gets a place of her own.
Posted via Mobile Device

41 - 60 of 60 Posts