The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our local vet does NOT do emergency calls! OMG.....

My friends horse coliced and we pretty much had to deal with it over the phone with a vet in Charleston.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
That's the worst! We had that happen one time when I boarded, the vet was 2 hours away on another e-call and couldn't get to us.

Do you use a 1 vet practice? If you want to change, I would look for a multiple vet practice. Mine has 3, so someone should always be available for backup.

If you don't want to switch, maybe have your horses set up through a second vet, also. Use your current vet for shots, lamenes, etc. Use the second one for dental work or something. That way you have 2 vets who know your horse and have a backup :)

Hopefully that won't happen again! Was the horse ok?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, she looks to be doing very well this morning just worn out. I left at 1am at which point they had given her bannamine and were offering applejuice/alfalfa/water tea concoction.

We are going to look at using a vet in Bluffton which is only 1 hour away and they do emergency calls.

We use the base vet for shots (cuz we can buy our own and she gives them free) and coggins. But she is not an equine vet so we use an out in town vet for everything else so splitting it up would work fine.

I love this small town but not without a vet, geepers!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yup, started using a vet 20min away from us just for that reason. Our closest vet is...1 block away! Seriously. They don't answer emergency calls so I give my business to someone else.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I was lucky in that sense, my horse colicked in the morning so the came out to help. What didn't help is that he didn't pass anything, so he colicked again the next day. Lucky my parents are good about big vet bills!!
Our vet does do emergencies, but we take our horses elsewhere for anything else (dentistry, blood testing, etc) I think our vet is restricted pretty much to needles with horses =(

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Seriously. They don't answer emergency calls so I give my business to someone else.

I totally agree. What good is a vet that won't come out in an emergency!

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
[/COLOR]

I totally agree. What good is a vet that won't come out in an emergency!
[/LEFT]
I agree also!

You also want the vet that comes for an emergency to have some base line on the horse. If they come out to do other things for your horse you will be an established client, etc.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
even though i live in the country a lot of the vets around here dont do emergency/after hours calls either. the closest vet we can get out in this area is from about 80km away and at 1.20 per km plus $99.00 call out fee then the $65 an hour after that it can be a very very expensive call out after hours.

thankfully i can deal with most things myself but this isnt always the case. i think any country vet worth his salt will do emergency/after hours care

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I interviewed vets before I have had an emergency for this reason.... I would hate to watch my horse suffer and not know if the vet was good with my horse, good with me and willing to come to our barn.

·
Super Moderator
26,794 Posts
That's poopie. I was using a one vet practice for years but hsa the vet calls became more serious with aging horses I couldn't risk him not being available when I needed him. I switched to a more expensive 5 vet practice. The prices are higher but I'm never without a vet....

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
That is really sucky, Im kinda in the same position, Both of the vets near where I live just sent out a note saying they aren't doing practicing on horses or live stock anymore! and the nearest vet the still does is 2-3 hours away!

One of the vets is getting too old and the other has really bad horse and hay allergies.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.