The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was saddling a couple horses today to go get a calf in, a lady came to the yard and wanted to talk to me about training some horses.

They have 90 horses, and live about half an hour or less away from me. The horses she would like me to work with are smaller horses/pony crosses, about 14 hands. I was told I would just be doing some fine tuning and exposing them to as much as possible. I'm thinking they want to sell these horses as kids horses. I would rather be working with other horses, but this might lead to that, considering they have 90 of 'em.

I really want to do this, but I got thinking:

Volleyball: Tuesday and Thursday, tournaments on weekends

Giving riding lessons on Mondays

Which leaves: Wednesdays and Fridays and maybe Sundays.

Would it be worth it? For me? for them?

HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
14,242 Posts
If it's just a matter of exercising and putting wet blankets/miles on them, then 3 days/week would be plenty and should net you some decent pocket change. If there are any unstarted horses in the bunch and they want you to do that, I'd think it wouldn't be enough days to work them consecutively.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
well i can't imgine they want them worked 7 days a week. Maybe just tell them your intrested but just to them your weekly scedule, and see what they say??

·
Banned
2,978 Posts
Go for it. I have applied for many jobs now, none have even contacted me for an interview.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I would definitely look into it at least. If you guys can work out a schedule that works for everyone, then go for it! :)

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
It's an interesting idea, but 90 horses? That's a lot of animals to work alone on 3 days of the week. Even if you only had 10 minutes with each horse on those days you're looking at 15 hours a day. Unlikely that 10 minutes a day would be enough, but if you spent 15 minutes it would over 22 hours. There is a time issue here when dealing with training so many animals.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Go for it. I have applied for many jobs now, none have even contacted me for an interview.
I agree, and same here. If they are the ones approaching you for a job, don't turn it down.

And do they really expect you to work with all 90 horses? Were they thinking full time, or just a few days each week? My trainer works several days a week at a big barn with a few hundred horses that she helps train and sell. I don't think she's expected to ride and train all 200 (or 300...there's a lot of horses).

Ask these people what they expect, how often you'll be working and how many horses you'll be riding a day.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Whatever you decide get the specifics in writing. Add you demands as well. Include that you need to be paid daily. For some reason I sense a red flag.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I understand it to be a few horses not all 90 of them. I would go for it if they are fine with your schedual. I would make sure it is clear exactly what they want from you and what you can give them that way there is no confusion down the road.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Whatever you decide get the specifics in writing. Add you demands as well. Include that you need to be paid daily. For some reason I sense a red flag.
I agree. I'd say go for it and like said, get everything in writing and a plan for when and how much you'll be paid. Know your prices before hand and have the papers yourself. If it's their papers then make sure to read every bit in case they decide to throw in a "loop hole". Over all if it's something you think you can do, it could be a very good foot in the door for you, just make sure to keep a watch because there are people who will take you for what you're worth and not think twice about it.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called her tonight, and this is what she told me (roughly):

First of all, she has a few "ponies" that are messes (burrs and such) that she needs help with cleaning up. So I'm guessing she wants to see how I handle horses.

From there, they have a lot of "green" horses that just need some miles. So, we'd pick out 3 or 4 for me to work with 2-3 days a week, when I have time. I'd be working on getting them to a point where they lope nice circles, and bend and are soft in the face.

She says she'll be paying by the hour, (12 bucks!) not by the horse, because we may decide to switch out horses or something.

They don't have an arena yet, so it'll be training in the field and possibly a big roundpen.

I'm starting Wednesday, so we'll see how it goes :) I can't wait!!!!!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
That sounds like a pretty good deal. Provided of course that the horses are not a complete mental mess that needs correcting.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, Wednesday was my first day :) They have a crapton of horses!!!

Anyways, I spent much of the time pulling burrs out of the manes and tails of a couple ponies and other horses, and for the last 45 mins went out for a ride with the lady who employed meh!

I rode one of the horses I pulled burrs out of, a little sorrel mare who hadn't really been rode in 2 years. She was a former gymnkhana horse and then got spoiled. Anyways, she tried some little bucking for a few minutes, and I was just riding her in a halter (she wont take a bit, and get's violent about it apparently) and she worked pretty good with the halter actually!

But once we got over the first few quirks, we went out for a little ride in the field and did some trotting and such. I'm going again tomorrow afternoon and hopefully ride a couple different horses as well.

I'ma thinking I'm gonna really enjoy this :)

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I rode a total of 5 horses today :)

3 mares and 2 geldings. All of them did wonderful.

I got one of the mares and both geldings loping beeeeautiful figure 8's, made me feel awesome. The one gelding set his bum in the ground whenever you just said "whoa".

Also, some girl came to look at horses and made every horse she rode look bad... and the horses are actually very talented horses. She was just looking for more horse than she could handle...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.