The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have had rain constantly all week and it's supposed to continue until thursday. :-(
Right at the opening of my barn/shelter has turned to mud. Like really bad ankle deep mud. Anyone know of anything I can do to help with this? I'm at a loss. I tried throwing leaves on it to give a bit of traction to avoid slipping but it's really not helping enough and I'm worried someone is going to get hurt.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Leaves are very slippery when wet and covered with mud, and they break down to create more of a mess. I'd start by clearing away those leaves and building up a gravel pathway, as JCnGrace mentioned.

·
Super Moderator
16,045 Posts
If you put anything that rots on mud then you might improve the going for the moment but in a short time it will be worse.

The only thing to do is to dig channels to take the worse of the water away and put down hard core or gravel.

I have found that many in the US are surprised at how much concrete UK equestrians have about their barns, the reason for this is because of the rain!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Drainage ditches (small ones) to lead the water away and pea gravel.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
First thing to keep in mind is that if you have a lot of rain, dirt, and horses you WILL have mud. The best you can do is minimize the amount of mud by providing an environment that will keep water AWAY.
- If you don't have a gutter, add one. This keeps A LOT of water away.
- Aggressively grade the ground to flow water QUICKLY away from the structure.
- Use rock (gravel, screening, etc), but if you don't keep the water away, whatever you put will eventually disappear into the mud "black hole". I've seen people dump enough gravel in spots over the years where you think the rock must certainly be 10' deep, but it still continues to disappear if you don't solve the water problem.

Our ground is about 6" of dirt on top of terrible red clay and keeping the water away is the ONLY way to reduce mud and let it dry quickly. You can see in the pic how much we have to grade away from our shelter (and the gutter). We have 6"-8" of stone screenings in the shelter and even though it will still get a bit muddy outside the shelter, it dries quickly and the shelter itself stays dry.

Good luck.

Reactions: Talon
1 - 6 of 6 Posts