The Horse Forum banner

121 - 126 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
5,551 Posts

·
Administrator
35,675 Posts
The Lusitano horse in Portugal that's aimed at more classical riding is ridden in a double bridle eventually (double rein) but started in a snaffle (single rein) or they're ridden in a curb bit with a single rein for higher level 'one handed' work

·
Registered
893 Posts
@Brynne nice looking horse! :)
In here we bull's horns are wrapped too, but we don't use the velcro to protect him :-( That's a really good idea for the sake of the animal. I hate bullfights.

@jaydee just out of curiosity, most, if not all the horses ridden by Luis Valença in the portuguese equestrian school are from the breed Alter Real, Lusitano based but slightly different.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have never cared for the Lusitano personally and we have a lot of Andalusians. I just don't see the demand being high here for them. We're already dealing with an overwhelming amount of horses here, prices going down. If people are looking about venturing into less common horses they're leaning towards the Akhal-teke, Knabstrupper. The Warmbloods aren't exactly "different", they're gaining tremendous popularity. Between the three I mentioned the Lusitano would not be a venture I'd get into if that's what you're thinking. I'd stick to one of the three I mentioned. The Knabstrupper obviously is a highly coloured horse so it's niche would be less of course. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I know there are Breeders here but the general market for theses horses is not:neutral:. The prices are more than average for quality of them but the people that may pay more are looking for show or breeding stock . in America from what i've seen most will buy the the horses that excel in those disciplines. So WB breeds for Dressage & jumping, Tb for racing & English Disciplines,stock horses for western,arabs for show & endurance etc.:D These horses are not the norm as competitive in those disciplines here,not to say they don't do them :wink:

IDK about quality here either.... seen few that look nice but are usually crosses the others are kinda homely IMO :D

121 - 126 of 126 Posts