The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I feed my guy a cup of beet pulp 2x a day. This is my first expierence with beet pulp so this is a new one to me.

I buy Speedi beet which takes about 10 minutes to soak aslong as it isn't below freezing out, but with the winter slowly creeping up soaking the beet pulp in cold water isn't working like it should. Therefore I need to invest in a bucket warmer or something to boil water so the pulp will soak.

I've thought about getting an electric bucket heater that you just stick in a bucket of water or an electric tea kettle. The tea kettle seems to be a lot less expensive but I have no expierence warming up water with an electric tea kettle.

I could bring the beet pulp home and just soak it but I don't always stop home before I go to the barn so id rather leave it at the barn where it's convienient.

Anyone have any opinions or help they can offer? :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could do that but I'm pretty forgetful and the water might not stay very warm by the time I get to the barn. Sometimes I go straight from work or do errands then the barn. It's a pain soaking beet pulp
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
551 Posts
Electric tea kettle sounds like a good bet. Fast, easy to use, hot water on demand. Plus, they're easy to come by!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Electric kettle for sure. Fill up, plug in. Then just mix with cold in the bucket your soaking the BP in to get the temperature down to edible.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
In my world no barn is complete without a kettle - good for boiling water for tea, coffee, and speedibeet!

Reactions: Glenknock

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Get the electric tea kettle. Read the box carefully and get the one that has the auto shutoff so in case you forget about it, it won't keep boiling.

I think mine is a Sunbeam brand.

You just fill it with water, plug it in and wait a few minutes. Mine clicks off when it's boiling. You'll want to let it cool down some before feeding to the horse too.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I use speedi beet think its brilliant, what i do is soak enough for the evening and morning feed's and even if i'm stuck for time that's the first thing i do at yard is add water and usually by time i'm finished bringing in the horse's it's done. But if the issue is the cold water then a cheap kettle would do the trick half boil it and bob's your uncle :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
how about a coffee pot? to make the water hot

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I second the electric kettle idea :) I feed speedi beet during the winter and boil my water before putting it in, just make sure it's not too hot before you give it to your horse! For that I recommend having a wooden spoon you can mix the beet up a bit to make sure its not to hot since we don't need you burning your hand!

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
What's the difference between speedi beet and beet pulp? We've used rolled shreds, they are smaller pieces. All we did was let the hot water faucet run until the water was hot and filled the bucket. There were times we used cold water but that only made soaking take just a little longer.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
If it is not pelleted, you DO NOT have to soak it. Just get it wet, and feed. SIMPLE.

Nancy

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Speedi beet basically just cuts soaking time in half. It takes about 3 mins to soak in hot water and 10 in cold. And it's approved for horses prone to laminitis because I believe it is sugar free.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.