The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used soft ride boots for a horse with laminitis? How did they hold up? I used my EasyBoots and pads on my mare for a few days, but they rub and the gaiters wear out very, very fast when used for turnout. I've heard that the soft ride boots are a lot better, but I have no interest in spending $200 on a pair of boots that will tear up in a week (which is about how long EasyBoots last on turnout). She's not miserable without boots, but the vet has gotten me kind of worried about sole bruising.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I have them, not for laminitis but to keep my barefoot horse comfortable at shows. I also use them for hauling and notice a lot less stocking up!
I have the normal squishyness pads in, and they last great. The softer ones are a bit less durable, my farrier let me try a pair before I bought them and they had the squishyer pads and they were starting to fray. I figure with daily use the pads I have would last a few months, and the boots are nearly indestructible.
I love my soft rides, just wish I could ride in them!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you not ride in them because they are not meant for riding, or because you do dressage and they're not legal?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wasn't planning to use them for riding, just turnout, but I had not realized they weren't meant for it. Maybe if they're purpose designed, turnout won't tear them to pieces?

·
Registered
967 Posts
One of my mare had periods of laminitis. Last one was spring 2012 and we had her in SoftRides 24/7 a couple weeks, then just during daily turnouts for a month or so. They held up quite well. One of the gaiters is ripped but still holds and could be repaired easily. It really helped speed her recovery, as movement is part of the solution.

We tried with her EasyBoots Glove, but she wasn't as comfortable as in the SoftRides. Expensive, yes, but so is a foundered horse... :wink:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm so sorry that your new horse foundered. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. :( This forum has great advice for dealing with founder, so don't hesitate to ask.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.