Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there!
Recently I purchased a new Mayatex saddle blanket, it isa double size but thin acrylic-polyester blend. It is tightly woven and looks pretty durable, but when I put it on my horse´s back, it doesn´t lie there nice and adapting to the horse´s shape, but with pretty big wrinkles in it. Does anyone have any tips for softening this kind of blanket?
I was thinking of washing it, hoping the Acrylic yarn will get softer, but I am greatful for any tips.
Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
I start with them on top of a pad to help shape them then the big wrinkles won't be as prominent when you use it under your pad. Once you saddle your horse the wrinkles usually smooth out but it might curl up in the corners some.
Basically, use it, it'll take shape.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Cowchick77!
I was planning on using it on top of a wool felt blanket, I have tried using a blanket underneath a felt pad, and after the third ride or so, even tough I have never had problems with it, the saddle started to slip really bad when I tried to get on. I am not the kind of person that does the cinch up too tight most times, because I don´t do any ranch work, and even tough I ride a lot of hills and do stops and rollbacks and that stuff, I have never had a problem with the saddle slipping. The saddle fits and I use a breast collar, mane hair cincha and a wool felt pad. Maybe it was because of the hairs that had packed into the blanket and made it slippery? I really have no clue. It was a thin and really cheap sort of show blanket that I used, some kind of acrylic yarn. I know that a lot of working cowboys out there use a blanket underneath a pad, and it works wonderfully for them. So I am guessing it was the type of blanket that made it slippery.
I also wrote to the Mayatex customer service, they said I should wash the blanket, that way the fibers break down and therefore the blanket will get softer. So now it is hanging on the clothes line still a little bit wet, I will put it on top of the pad this way, I think it will be fine.
Regards from Austria, Elisabeth

·
Registered
14,679 Posts
I have a bunch of those in different colours because when I show I try to match up the blanket to my show shirt. Just like your dilemma, these blankets were stiff. So it would put my wool pad on underneath and put the new blanket on top and ride with it a few times especially if the horse got hot and sweaty the blanket would conform pretty quickly.

Reactions: COWCHICK77
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.