The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Only thing wrong I saw was getting on him, other than that it looked like basic desensitization to me. Like what? Am I supposed to be appalled that there is a bit in his mouth? Or that he didn't want to feel the flank strap? Or get in the trailer? I can't judge without a video of the methods, not just pictures... but really, I didn't see anything stand out that made me scream abuse except for getting on the little guy.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
I agree the only thing wrong is getting on him that bit is just sitting in his mouth no pressure,that saddle weighs next to nothing and he is obviously very well desensitized to be standing there with it under him, the rest just looks like regular desensitizing which most over look doing and end up with psco babies which go to auctions or worse.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Not my horse, but I'd not get on him til after the age of 4. Personal preference. Saddle, meh, to me a little early, but not abusive. Bitted, meh, still a little early but not abusive. Flank rope, good idea! Ever put a blanket on a foal who wasn't taught to stand still for it, not a pretty sight, but he was so cold.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The video is by a non horse person. Most of it is normal training. The saddle was small, And a horse should know how to trailer load, and have ropes all over it. But i didnt like her getting on the horse she is to young to have alot of weight on her at that age.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
seems like normal desensitization to me. i got my coming 2 year old when he was 8 months (so a few months older than the one in these pictures) and that's one of the first things i did - introduce him to anything and everything i expect him to come across during the course of his life. the only thing i have not done is backed him. honestly, i think he's a much more well-rounded horse for having experienced a lot of things during his "younger" months.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I agree with tianimalz, the only part of that video that bothered me was them getting on her at such a young age.

So many things can be taken completely out of context, especially in regards to photos. Depending on the temperament of the foal and how much previous handling (or mishandling) she'd had, she might have had issues that needed to be corrected NOW, while she's still small enough to not really be able to truly hurt someone. The biggest thing is, we can't know because we weren't there.

As for the whole bit on a baby thing, I must be a horrible abusive asshat too because my guy was a grand total of 6 months the first time he wore a bit and was asked to give to the pressure of it. And worse, it was a single jointed snaffle *gasp*.

It really bothers me when someone tries to trash a trainer's or an owner's reputation by flailing their arms and shreiking "ABUSEABUSEABUSE!!!" just based on a few pictures or a short snippet of video, especially when the abuse isn't blatent; by blatent, I mean beating a horse with a board/chain, doing something to purposefully draw blood or cause permananent injury, etc (the first thing that comes to my mind is the photos of the stallion in south america that was left in his stall with twine tied around his lower jaw that kept it tied to his chest to "encourage" his tucked headset).

If you don't agree with the training methods shown, then simply state "Wow, you know, I really don't agree with how this was handled or what these folks are doing", but to scream ABUSE when the filly clearly hasn't been horribly injured or terrorized is just attention-mongering. Other than being a little sweaty (which, by the way, both of my foals would run themselves into a lather for the fun of it at that age), this filly has zero signs of even being worked other than a relaxed body carriage and a respectful look.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I agree with tianimalz, the only part of that video that bothered me was them getting on her at such a young age.

So many things can be taken completely out of context, especially in regards to photos. Depending on the temperament of the foal and how much previous handling (or mishandling) she'd had, she might have had issues that needed to be corrected NOW, while she's still small enough to not really be able to truly hurt someone. The biggest thing is, we can't know because we weren't there.

As for the whole bit on a baby thing, I must be a horrible abusive asshat too because my guy was a grand total of 6 months the first time he wore a bit and was asked to give to the pressure of it. And worse, it was a single jointed snaffle *gasp*.

It really bothers me when someone tries to trash a trainer's or an owner's reputation by flailing their arms and shreiking "ABUSEABUSEABUSE!!!" just based on a few pictures or a short snippet of video, especially when the abuse isn't blatent; by blatent, I mean beating a horse with a board/chain, doing something to purposefully draw blood or cause permananent injury, etc (the first thing that comes to my mind is the photos of the stallion in south america that was left in his stall with twine tied around his lower jaw that kept it tied to his chest to "encourage" his tucked headset).

If you don't agree with the training methods shown, then simply state "Wow, you know, I really don't agree with how this was handled or what these folks are doing", but to scream ABUSE when the filly clearly hasn't been horribly injured or terrorized is just attention-mongering. Other than being a little sweaty (which, by the way, both of my foals would run themselves into a lather for the fun of it at that age), this filly has zero signs of even being worked other than a relaxed body carriage and a respectful look.

You shameless horse abusing Hussy! ROFL Sorry, just kidding. There has been a lot of this on the forum the past couple weeks. I need to start a new thread. Remember when....

·
Banned
9,470 Posts
As others said, the only issue is them getting on the horse. I don't see anything else wrong.

It's grasping at straws to show a baby rearing in front of a trailer and call it abuse.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Basically everything, it is not how I would train a baby. Personally a think a baby should be bitted at that age. That isn't how I have trained any of my guys to wear a rug. Not saying I am right and every one else is wrong just my opinion.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Basically everything, it is not how I would train a baby. Personally a think a baby should be bitted at that age. That isn't how I have trained any of my guys to wear a rug. Not saying I am right and every one else is wrong just my opinion.
The bit doesn't hurt them any :) It just sits in their mouths really, and if you put a little bit of sugar on it you can REALLY teach them that the bit is a treat! It's a good training exercise for any age, specially a future riding horse. And teaching them to wear things? Well, sometimes they put up a fight. My mare as a 3 year old would fight and pull and try to bolt at the sight of her blanket, it took a little while, but after she worked her fight out and got the blanket on she was rewarded and is now the easiest horse to blanket.

Reactions: Corporal

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Just because it is not how YOU would do it or fits with YOUR opinion does not make it abuse. Abuse is a very very strong word to use when you simply disagree with something that is not causing mental or physical pain to an animal.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I think it is abusive to have a pony as fat as yourblack one in your photo and on your website. Look at all the weight on his skinny little legs. That is unhealthy and cruel. So things that you think are ok others do not.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That was taken a couple of days after I got him and for his breed her really doesn't have skinny legs.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I get the strong impression that these people do abuse their horses. If they're backing a 5 month old, it's a pretty good indication of what kind of horse people they are. You don't see legitimate trainers sitting on foals. Rushing a horse through training is abuse in my book.

The backing part is what has people so upset. I don't think it has much to do with the saddle and bridle.

·
Super Moderator
16,046 Posts
Well, some might not consider it abuse but I consider it exceedingly bad traumatic training.
I breed foals, they have very basic training in that they learn how to pick up their feet, lead and respect humans. Other than that they are left to be young horses until they are three.

They come and go to the field loose because it saves me time in haltering them all so basically the only time they have a halter on is when the farrier is here or the vet for inoculations. I can do what I want with them. I have just started three three year old home bred (TB and WBs) I have had no need to use a back strap, they have accepted the tack with no objection. In a week they are lungeing correctly (not in a round pen) they will follow me into the horsebox, I was leading them around large tractors and trailers today because they were removing the muck heap. No bother, no forcing, no worries on their behalf because they trust me.
That poor foal was traumatised and so mentally exhausted it did not have the energy to object to the woman sitting on it.

Maybe not cruelty in many eyes but some of the worse sort of training.

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
Yeah I had to go look...I'm fine with all of it apart from sitting on him, that is just ********** crazy.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I agree with Foxhunter.

I wouldn't call it abuse going by what I can see, but I don't agree with the training they have chosen to do with him at his age, just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts