The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I say anything, I did read smrobs sticky on western bits. I just have some questions as I'm currently "hunting" for a new bit for my mare.

I used to ride in this:

After reading around the forums, I can see why it is a poorly designed bit.

Now I've heard a lot about this bit around the forum:

And I have used Wonder bits on various ocassions:

My main question is; Does the fact that the mouth piece is "loosely" attached make these two bits work different than a Tom Thumb? Other than, smack me if I'm wrong I've never personally seen a Jr. Cow Horse in action, that the Wonder bit has longer shanks and I'm assuming more gag action, is there a difference in the bits?

Now, (last question!) this is the bit I show in: (You can ignore my crap photography skills, and I apologixe that they are huge!)

Now when you "collapse" the bit it doesn't fold completely back together like a snaffle would, but seems to just "hitch" itself and stop.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

Sorry I didn't have my Tom Thumb with me, but it would collapse together like the snaffle. So, would this bit not have or have a less reduced nut-cracker affect compared to a TT, or would it be the same?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Personally the only time I ever use a single joint with a shank is with a gag bit (Like that jr. cow horse) or if they shank has a sweep and I absolutely don't have another option.

That bit you posted I believe is nicer than the Tom Thumb. Now, I'm not saying if a horse likes the tom thumb that he shouldn't stay in it, but the horses rarely ever like it.

That jr. cowhorse you posted is a pretty nice bit in itself. I would still rather have one with a dogbone mouthpiece.

The wonder bit has quite a bit of gag. I'm not a huge fan but I'm not against it either. Typically the gag and the sweep do make it a bit nicer than the tom thumb.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
First of all I am not all that fond of any bit that is shanked with a snaffle style mouthpiece, although some are better than others.

However it would be helpful if explained your situation in more depth. What you are showing in and about your horse.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I ride my mare western, and this bit would probably stick as my "at home or on the trail" bit. She's an extreme butthead at home when I ride her (She's a mare), extremely barn soured, and even though she would *normally* neck rein, I normally find myself direct reining her when she's being stupid. Other than at home, we do western pleasure classes (Please understand I'm by far no pro, mostly just do what I do for fun) and run barrels from time to time, though I now consider her a semi-retired barrel horse since I bought my gelding this summer. We ride in a twisted snaffle wonder bit for barrels, which she seems to like. It's honestly hard to tell if she likes a bit :/ I swear she's bi-polar, one day PERFECT not a thing she could do wrong, next day .. we'll be fighting eachother tooth and nail to pick out her feet. I rode her in a curb once.. it did not end well at all. I think that was the worst day I have ever had riding her. Then again, by all I know she was just being cranky and not going to listen to me that day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.