The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my lovely Lacey has been getting a little noticeably barn sour. She doesn't do anything crazy, she just tries to "convince" me that it's time to go over to the gate or whatever by being harder to turn away from the direction of the gate and easier towards the gate, doesn't want to stay stopped for more than thirty seconds far away from her buddies, and she'll pull on my pant legs with her lips when I ask her to stay stopped (which is kinda cute but annoying).
She's not "bad" by any stretch of the imagination and she's perfectly respectful when I ask her to keep working but it's getting kind of annoying.

I feed her before I ride, I always dismount as far away as possible from wherever she wants to go, I turn her away from wherever she wants to go when I go off, I have her stop repeatedly with only verbal commands when we end up walking towards the gate/barn, and I don't let her wander off in the pasture before I release her by saying "ok". The only thing I can think of is that generally by the point that she's pulling on my pant legs, I'm bored with riding too so I generally get off within 10 minutes.

I've tried using the three trot poles I have access to and any buckets I can find and stuff to create obstacles but I do a pattern with her once and somehow, first time through, she learns it and gets resistant when I try to do the pattern differently. And then I get lost as to what to do and then we finish up soon after that.

In her defense, I have to say that she'd be a great horse to do trail patterns/dressage tests on. One run through and she'll do the whole thing herself for as long as it takes until you tell her to stop.

But anyway, how do I fix this resistance? I've tried riding her in the pastures, in the arena, and in the open area in between the pastures to mix it up and in every instance, she does the same stuff. In the pastures, it was worse because she would tune out my leg aids and keep her head where I wanted it while letting her rear drift towards the gate. >.< She's the best in the area in between the pastures but that's only because there are horses in some of the pastures and I don't really want to mask the problem by only riding in there...

I've tried riding in a saddle, bareback with a pad, bareback without a pad, all of those with a bridle, and all of those with just a halter and I get the same reaction each time. I can't really do any trot/canter work right now because the ground is way too questionable. =(

Thanks for reading! =)

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't ride her that way if I thought she would ever do anything that I couldn't handle. She stops immediately with voice commands, even when she's excited (so I know that if I were to drop the lead rope or something, she'll stop, I've even tested her by dropping the rein and she stops perfectly) and she's never done anything (even when she was "crazy") that I haven't been able to handle myself. I have never come off of her in the year and a half that I've been working with her and back when I first started riding her, and when I was much less of a rider than I am now, she would regularly rear and try to run away with me but I've never come close to coming off (and I've always gotten her back under control without help or instruction). She's matured past rearing and running away (it was a fear of not understanding) and she hasn't tried either in at least 6 months.

I appreciate your concern but I do have enough sense to not do something that I remotely feel like could be putting me in danger. I'm a very cautious rider and I generally don't do stupid things. It took a long time, because of my cautious-ness, for me to even consider that she might finally be trained enough to ride bareback and then bareback in a halter. She was probably fine with both of those months before I was. And I would never ever put her in a situation where I wasn't totally sure of her calm reaction (like a trail ride) while bridle-less and bareback.

Thanks for your concern. =)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I'm pretty burnt out after a week from hell, but the one thing that jumps out at me is that you said you're bored with riding. If you're bored, maybe she's bored too? I know you're trying to come up with lots of new ideas and obstacles... I'm sure someone on here can help you out more than me and my braindead self. Have you guys been working on any tricks lately? She's a smart girl, maybe she needs more challenge?

It sounds like you need to get more interesting than her buds in the pasture. How to do that though? Someone in the forum will surely have some ideas. I'm having a major case of the winter blahs, sick of the indoor arena too. I have my first jumping lesson sunday though, Tanner LOVES jumping so hopefully I don't let him down!

·
Registered
719 Posts
^^^ agreed! If your bored, Im guessing she is too. Winter blues get to alot of us I think. I always pull out 'special' stuff for winter to mess around with. We have a big horse ball (otherwise you can just get the large children's play balls) and me and my friends like to play horse soccer, I have a built bridge (similar to a trail class bridge) to work with, cones for different patterns and to work on skills you might not think need tuning but I always gain from just taking a day to go back to the basics. And I use a tarp to walk over and have the horses drag and stuff. Its just different stuff to do during the winter you might not take the time to do during the summer or warmer months.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I know where I can find a ball at no cost to me.... That could be super fun. Heheheheh Good idea! And that would be something that she can't predict! =D

I totally agree that she's probably bored with me. Maybe I'll take her for a ride down the road on Monday, she doesn't love that but it'll be a change of scenery which will probably help me out.

I've tried going back to basics but aside from basic turning I don't know how to cue her to do more advanced maneuvers. >.< I would call my trainer up and see if we can get a lesson, just to mix things up, but she broke her back a few weeks ago and is still bedridden. >.<

It's definitely the winter blues.

I really like that idea of a ball. Excellent suggestion. I think she might even enjoy that because a few months ago, there was a football in the arena and she thought nothing of kicking it in front of her until it went out of range. She was just kinda like "oh look! There's a ball in front of me. Woopty doo. I'm gonna kick it." Hahahaha

She is a smart girl. Too smart for her own good, if you ask me. =P Just kidding, I really like her level of brilliance. It's just a little disconcerting at times.

I haven't been working on any new tricks with her. I'm tentatively working on getting her to bow then lay down but the ground has been so slippery that I really can't lift her foot and flex her head without her slipping a little and I don't want to dissuade her from trying so I've kinda put that to the side until it dries out more. =(
Yknow, I could turn her pant leg pulling into a cute trick... She would probably like that. And it is kinda cute... Especially since she's careful about it and she does it ALL the time... Heheheheheheh...

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yeah, I do ground manners stuff every time I work her. XP Her only issue, ground manners-wise, is that when she doesn't like where I'm leading her, she walks super painfully slow. So the last few days I've been carrying a dressage whip and tapping her when she gets too far behind. But other than that, she's pretty impeccable. She ground ties perfectly. She stays where I tell her to when I tell her "stay" and she comes when I say "come 'ere!" She moves her shoulders or rear with just a touch etc. It's no good, well it is good but it's almost too good.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Also, if she moves with just a touch, work on doing it with just a look. Maybe teach her to drag things- I know this can be a huge mental challenge for some horses. Since she is so good at so many things, why not try playing a game while you ride and see how light you can get her to your cues. Without turning this into a Parelli argument, the 7 games dvd got me thinking of all kinds of things to do with my boy on the ground, because I am totally useless at coming up with horse games.

I LOVE the idea of a big ball. A girl at my barn was playing "polo" with a giant beach ball the other day (just her and her 4 year old baby QH). It looked like a lot of fun, and just getting Tanner used to me swinging something while on his back would take a lot of mental power on his part. Seemed better than riding circles and figure 8's, ya know?

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
I feed her before I ride, I always dismount as far away as possible from wherever she wants to go, I turn her away from wherever she wants to go when I go off, I have her stop repeatedly with only verbal commands when we end up walking towards the gate/barn, and I don't let her wander off in the pasture before I release her by saying "ok". The only thing I can think of is that generally by the point that she's pulling on my pant legs, I'm bored with riding too so I generally get off within 10 minutes.

Thanks for reading! =)
Why are you always dismounting?? Bored?? Winter can be fun, no bugs, cool running, no crops in the fields. Get out and enjoy the cold.
I read other posts and get a feeling for posters.
You need to just get out with a saddle, no bareback, no halter but proper gear and just ride.
I know she is perfect?? Then why the posts? Why the asking for help??
If you can ride bareback with just a halter you should do really well with proper gear?
Good luck and enjoy a good ride. Wet saddle blankets cure alot of problems

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why are you always dismounting?? Bored?? Winter can be fun, no bugs, cool running, no crops in the fields. Get out and enjoy the cold.
I read other posts and get a feeling for posters.
You need to just get out with a saddle, no bareback, no halter but proper gear and just ride.
I know she is perfect?? Then why the posts? Why the asking for help??
If you can ride bareback with just a halter you should do really well with proper gear?
Good luck and enjoy a good ride. Wet saddle blankets cure alot of problems
She's not perfect in any way but the things that I understand how to work on are also the areas she's pretty proficient in. There are many things I just don't know how to teach and therefore I have no interest in just BS-ing something until we are both thoroughly frustrated and mad.

And seeing as how where she is doesn't have anywhere where I can just go ride for hours without doing the same things over and over, that's kind of a problem. The longest "trail" (the road) is thirty minutes long but I'm only comfortable with 15 minutes of it because of how far away it gets us from "home."
I completely agree that wet saddle blankets do wonders. I'm just not sure that I can create one without hours of the same stuff over and over which would defeat the purpose most completely.

And I'm not "always dismounting," I was just making sure that everybody knew that I'm not just getting off by the gate at the end of each ride and creating this problem with that. But yes, I am marginally bored, maybe you have some cool ideas for me to try?

ilovestitch- I hadn't thought about pivoting or standing square... She does pivot but I've never worked on it. Good idea! I've tried getting her square but she just doesn't seem to believe in that. Haha I don't think I've ever seen her actually square. That'll be a good challenge!

tealamutt- Those are good ideas! I especially like the idea of getting her even lighter to my cues. Right now I have to poke her with a finger but it'd be really cool to just have to lightly touch her or just look at her :shock: and have her move. I'm not sure how I'd teach her to move with just a look but that's definitly something to think about. I can see it happening, maybe if I coupled the look with a pointing finger or something at whatever I wanted to move...
I'm so bummed that my library doesn't have the 7 games video anymore! After hearing about your successes with Tanner, I really want to test this out myself! I'm also totally useless at coming up with games to play with Lacey, my one wish for her is to see her actually enjoy something we're doing. The two (she's done this twice in the last 2 months! she must be feeling good) times she's flagged her tail while I'm free lunging her, I practically cried because she appeared to be enjoying herself so much. I want that feeling all the time, yknow?
That's a good idea about pulling things. I'm not sure if that would make her think... She reacts funnily to different things. Most of the time she could care less but the other day the hose winder was working and oh man, was that scary! We went and examined it together and she figured it out but I haven't seen her think like that in a year or so! Haha But I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
62 Posts
All you have to do is allow her to go where she wants (the barn, etc.) and when you get there make her work for a while, and I mean real work. Then ride her away, give her a loose rein and if she does it again repeat step one. I promise that if you consistently show her that the barn, other horses, tie up spot, etc. means work she will avoid those areas at all cost and be glad to go do something else.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
. The longest "trail" (the road) is thirty minutes long but I'm only comfortable with 15 minutes of it because of how far away it gets us from "home."

. But yes, I am marginally bored, maybe you have some cool ideas for me to try?

What's wrong with being 15 minutes from home?? Do you have anxiety issues?? I find myself hours from home and love it knowing I get to spend a few more hours riding. As far as bored how can you be bored with a good horse between your legs??
Just being out riding your horse should be exciting enough? Running day after day , year after year for 25 plus years require one to run the same trails over and over.
Maybe you don't really enjoy a horse as much as you pretend??
If you truely love riding it doesn't matter where you ride as long as you are riding.
I ran a beautiful 15 mile run today on a snowmobile trail running north and am looking forward to the same run tomorrow morning. I have run this exact same trail hundreds of times but am looking forward to it as if I never ran that trail before.
Maybe you need another hobby??

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow RiosDad. Just wow. You just crossed my limit SOOOO much. I try really hard to put up with you because you do have helpful things to say but telling me that I shouldn't ride because I get bored? How dare you.
It's human to get bored, I get bored with my best friends, does that mean I should just stop being friends with them because I'm bored of them for a month? Heck no! If I just gave up when I got bored, imo, I'd be so much less of a person. Being a real rider/strong human is not giving up when the going is tough and right now the going is tough for me but I'm being a big person and getting help by asking for it on this forum. I'm not going to give up riding because you say I should. I will never give up riding. I live and breath horses, I always have and I always will. They are the thing that brings me joy in my life. Without horses I probably either wouldn't be alive right now or I'd probably be a drug addicted crazy person. I think I prefer horses, thank you very much.

And no, I do not have "anxiety issues." I just don't know exactly where those roads go and I don't want to be referencing them for the first time, alone on the back of my relatively road-spooky horse. I'm smart about it. I know Lacey wouldn't be able to calmly handle that and I'm not positive of my ability to positively rectify a "situation" if we got into one. It has nothing to do with me being "not strong enough" but it has everything to do with me keeping my energy low, staying calm, and staying collected in my thinking, all of which is hard for me in a tense situation by myself.

I would absolutely love to have miles of trails to ride. I did that with Lacey during the summer and that was obviously her forte. We spent hours on those trails and I think it was the best riding experience I've ever had. This summer I'm taking her to a camp, all summer, where we'll have the same sort of situation and I can't wait. But that's this summer, not now. Right now I only have asphalt roads, loose dogs, and hidden hicks with chainsaws that decide to start sawing right as we go past (scaring me worse than Lacey).
If we had somewhere beautiful to ride in and miles of it, there's no way in heck that I'd be bored. I envy your set up, it sounds perfect. However I'm not that lucky.

I'd appreciate it if you would stay off my threads unless you have something helpful to say, that doesn't involve mocking my strength because I'm a woman, mocking my riding because I'm sharing a weakness, mocking my choice of riding style, or mocking anything else you can think of to mock about me. I'd really appreciate it. I'd love to hear tips or experiences you've had in all your years of riding but I don't need to be brought down when I'm already feeling low.

PaytonSidesHorsemanship- that's a really good idea! I'll give it a try. I hadn't even thought of that!

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
Wallaby I don't feel bad at all. I assume you are 19 years old?? I could be wrong about that and you could be 12 or13 but my guess is 19??

Don't know where the road goes?? Take a drive and find out, don't moan about it. Grow up.

Bored with your friends for a month?? You don't make a good friend for anyone. I enjoy seeing my same old friends daily and don't get bored with then either.. They are either friends or they are not? Which is it??

Hate to be your boyfriend. Bored this month, next month maybe yes, maybe no.

YOu are too inconsistant. The horse will never know which it is. On today, off tomorrow.

Give me anywhere and I will find a place to ride, anywhere and I won't moan about being bored as long as there is a horse between my knees.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
While shoving you know what this morning I thought more about this Bored.
For every day of your life from the minute you were born if you could put yourself in my shoes you would
Clean a stall
Carry at least 2 bales of hay
Fill a water trough
Groom a horse
Ride a horse

Every single day.
My guy is 4 right now and I hope he lives to 35 or so, the normal life of an arab. On the day he drops dead from old age is the day I walk away from a horse. Until then I will clean a stall EVERY day, I will carry at least two bales of hay, EVERY day. I will curry my guy, shoe my guy, ride my guy.

The word BARED never never enters into the equasion.
EVERY single day I go and prepare his stall, spend time grooming him, picking his feet and EVERY day I look forward to it.

I am going to retire in another 1 1/2 after 45 years at the same job.
Am I BORED with my friends, my job, my WIFE , my life with my horse??

NOT on your life, life it good, life is exciting.
I am looking forward to 10 oclock when I can go out, saddle my horse and run the same old BORING snowmobile trail.

The word BORING and HORSE do not belong in the same sentence, the same thought.
Makes me angry when someone says their life is horses and yet they are so bored with thier horse.
Do something about it instead of moaning

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, getting this thread back on track, if anyone else has any more fun ideas, I'd love to hear them and give them a whirl!

I found a big ball, so on Monday we'll see what Miss Lacey feels about soccer. I'm SUPER excited!

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Riosdad- just because someone is getting bored doing something monotonous doesn't mean they don't love their horse. I get bored doing flat work sometimes, does that mean I should just lay down and give up? uhm no.

Anyway.... I think doing dressage tests would be fun for you! Memorization is half the fun... then riding it is fun too! This coming from someone who really doesn't like dressage that much because of the horses I'm on. haha. But seriously, doing changes of direction, 20 meter circles, 10 meter circles, half circles, transitions... it's fun! It also gets the horse's mind off of the buddies in the barn. My horse has the exact same problem. Just give her something to focus on for a while and maybe the barn sourness will go away.

Trot poles could be fun too

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
tealamutt- Those are good ideas! I especially like the idea of getting her even lighter to my cues. Right now I have to poke her with a finger but it'd be really cool to just have to lightly touch her or just look at her :shock: and have her move. I'm not sure how I'd teach her to move with just a look but that's definitly something to think about.
I taught Tanner to do this pretty fast. I look at his hind quarters (with energy and intensity, so he knows I"m not just checking him over) and then move toward them, then point, then touch. The second he thinks about moving over, I release. He got the idea in about 2 days.

I didn't come up with that on my own of course, it is in the Parelli games dvd (credit where it is due!) but that is the idea, start with the cue you want her to respond to, then get bigger as needed. The second you get what you want, release. Once she gets the idea, ask for bigger movements using the same progression. She'll be yielding hind and fore and sidestepping in NO time!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.