The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I arrived and their water trough was empty, even though I filled it all the way up the day before. So I put in the horse and filled it alllll the way up to the top. Today i arrived and it was bone dry again. I assumed the horses drinking plus evaporation since it’s hot outside was the answer. However the BOs husbands business is on site so he has cameras set up and he called me into his office and told me he had caught one person in a hoodie coming to the barn and dumping it my horses water and my trainers horses water on camera.

We printed out a paper that said that we had videos of them in our pasture dumping it out and it would be in his/her best interest to stop before we take further actions and we taped it on the gate. The gate was not latched closed like it normally is and if Chase or Bee we’re to bump into it, it would have flung open.

It’s just very upsetting to me... my horses have been without water all day. This is the culprits last warning, if it’s dumped out tomorrow I’m camping out with a shotgun....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Makes you wanna somehow electrify the trough. LOL

*shady looking person in hoodie snnneeaakks in... This is all on security vid btw*

*Shady person looookkkks around, sees no one in sight*

*Grabs trough*

BZZZZAATTTTTT!

I don't mean enough to hurt them, but about as much as the hotwire on a fence puts out.

That would be golden.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Makes you wanna somehow electrify the trough. LOL

*shady looking person in hoodie snnneeaakks in... This is all on security vid btw*

*Shady person looookkkks around, sees no one in sight*

*Grabs trough*

BZZZZAATTTTTT!

I don't mean enough to hurt them, but about as much as the hotwire on a fence puts out.

That would be golden.
I’m embarrassed to admit that that was my first idea haha! I was like “well if I put the electric fence around the trough when he grabs it he’ll never come near my boys again!” Lol but I bet Chase would find a way to electrocute himself

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I’m embarrassed to admit that that was my first idea haha! I was like “well if I put the electric fence around the trough when he grabs it he’ll never come near my boys again!” Lol but I bet Chase would find a way to electrocute himself

I wonder if you could swap to a rubber trough... then run the hot wire up under the lip? Rubber doesn't conduct electricity, but to dump a rubber trough you gotta 'git a holt' of one by getting your fingers up under the lip real good...

IDK. it might ground out though. Hmmm. I must put thought to this.

·
Registered
241 Posts
What the heck what kindof person does that.. goes out of their way or to event think about going to do something malicious like that . Mal care, intentional neglect for someone elses animals . This is so scary im sure this creep will strike again. Good that your husband took proper steps with the cameras and knew something was up!! Ill follow this thread hope you fuys find out who this person is . I would Make a police statement now incase he comes again.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Electric wire please. The stuff they use to keep cattle in. That mess will knock you back on your butt. And if it's caught on camera that would be the most hilarious thing ever.
True Story: Yesterday it was 77, I admit to being absolutely beat down, did nothing, all day. I was in a t-shirt and flannel pants yesterday evening. AJ moseys up to Hubs, he loves on her from the yard side of the fence. I bring out an apple for her, one for Supes. I shut the hot wire off Friday because a lady came to pick up a puppy and brought 6 kids with her... and they were hanging all over the fence to look at the horses.

Anyway. I tap the wire with my hand... nadda. Whew. Duck through the fence. give AJ her apple.

Hubs walks down the fence to the gate to give Supes his apple... and while I wasn't looking ----- he casually turns the hotwire on. Just quietly flips the on switch on the charger. Fails to mention that until I 'git a holt' of it with confidence to step back through.

BZZZAAAATTT!

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!

It required an immediate rum and coke to keep from wanting to murder him.

So. I am fully supportive of Chasin if they booby trap that trough. That hot wire will indeed zap you a good one.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any chance it's the same twerp who intentionally flooded Justice's stall, and may or may not have cut up his frogs? Seems like you might have some kind of nasty angry horse saboteur in your life.
No Chase and Bee are an hour and a half away from that barn and all the barn girls that were harassing Justice. We have his car in the video and the girls at that barn are less then 16 yo. We can tell it’s a tall and skinny person, too me it seems like a man but I can’t tell bc he’s mostly covered. I don’t understand why in the world he’s getting a kick outta dehydrating my horses.

I know it’s a rotten thought, but if Chase or Bee just we’re to give him a nice big kick I’m sure he’d stay away lol

·
Super Moderator
14,687 Posts
Its time your B/O call the authorities...aka sheriff.
File a report about tresspassing and what is being done as it is caught on camera...
Sheriff may be able to copy that video, blow up the car and get the plate number or identifying dings & dents...
And...this also now adds animal cruelty to trespass charges since a life substance of water is being denied to the animals...that is a felony.
This isn't even not funny but sick...
Its in the mid to upper 80's here in Florida already and really hot in the sun...even a few hours without water can be so serious.
Sadly, what started as dumping water can escalate to a lot more serious to deadly evils done to all your horses.
I would not tape a picture to a fence gate and think it is going to fix the problem...
I would also be very careful about booby-trapping things with electrical current...{although it did make me laugh thinking the response}...the lash-back could be vindictive deadly...:frown_color:
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I'd camp out with a telescope lens. Remember you have no standing under the castle doctrine on BO's property. The landowners camping out with a shotgun: now we'd be talking! :)

Do you live in a Purple Fence Post jurisdiction?
Read this again please OP. Responsible gun ownership means understanding under what circumstances you can legally use deadly force, or even the threat of deadly force.

What will become of your horses if you are imprisoned?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Sometimes I forget that not everyone is in redneckville (where everyone knows that most people are armed so they mind their own business) and that yes, calling the sheriff would be a good idea if this continues.

My grandma tells us a story about her uncle Jerry who was a South Dakota cowboy. One day a horse was picketed outside the house where he lived and a couple of teenage boys came over and started throwing rocks at the horse and making it run in circles around the picket. Jerry saw it and came outside. He wasn't an overly tall man but he was built like a brick wall. He laid his hand on the doorframe and bellowed: "THEM'S FIGHTIN' WORDS TO MESS WITH ANOTHER MAN'S HORSE".
Needless to say the kids lit out of there like he was actually after them.

And actually, the hot wire around the rubber trough (under the lip) shouldn't bother the horses or be dangerous as far as I know. It would give the dude a shock when he goes to grab under the lip and it would be kind of great to watch.

·
Registered
14,626 Posts
I'd be finding some place else to keep my horses. If this is the type of place that attracts people in the night dumping water, what is next? I would be out of there like yesterday!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.