The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
5,541 Posts
It looks like they have over 70,000 signatures at this point. The group says they are planning on buying the horses that go to auction and finding homes for them, should the round-up still happen despite the petition request.

I wanted to donate money to help them buy and care for the horses, but couldn’t find a working donation/sponsor link on the Salt River Wild Horse Management site (I got an error message). Do you know of a working link?

· Registered
83 Posts
I read about it yesterday. Removing them due to possible danger to Park visitors? I guess Yellowstone had better start rounding up bison and elk! Stupid people making stupid decisions is not the animal's fault! I hope these horses can remain on the land.

There is a situation near Yakima, WA that tears at my heart too. The reservation lands have become overcrowded with wild horses. Local Indians are able to get permits to round them up and sell them, almost all to slaughter. The saddest part is the foals that get pulled from their mothers because they are too young and of no use to the buyers. A group has formed that is buying the foals in order to save them. The amount of vet care many of them need is huge and they are way too young to be weaned, sometimes only days old. I don't understand how it is not legally animal cruelty to pull these babies off their moms and let them die or shoot them.

· Super Moderator
11,149 Posts
So find homes for the 100 the Forest Service plans to gather.

While you're at it, find homes for the more than 40,000 we are holding in pens and paying ranchers lease money to warehouse. What a life.

And then there are all the ones ranchers are watering and feeding on their own private places. Find forever homes for them, too, please.

· Registered
83 Posts
So find homes for the 100 the Forest Service plans to gather.

While you're at it, find homes for the more than 40,000 we are holding in pens and paying ranchers lease money to warehouse. What a life.

And then there are all the ones ranchers are watering and feeding on their own private places. Find forever homes for them, too, please.
If the Arizona horses are left on the land we won't have to find homes for them. I'm not entirely sure what your point is other than there is an overpopulation problem.

· Registered
5,354 Posts
The horses have been there since 1930. If they where going to overpopulate they would have. This is all a land grab. A cuple of weeks ago the forest serves was talking about alowing cattle grazing. Then suddenly for the first time since 1930 the horses are an issue. Luckily the enter state of az ecploded and was not pleased. Even cowboy magic was against the roundup. Az highways is vert outspoken against it as well. We got john mc cain to speak out about it and baughtthe horses some time. We have untill september. Then congress will decide the fate of the horses.

· Super Moderator
11,149 Posts
The Forest Service has to follow the laws set up by Congress. These horses were not included. They have even less claim as long time feral horses than the so called mustangs.

Not everybody is thrilled to have horses in a park.

The Forest Service has to balance multi-use needs.

· Registered
5,354 Posts
the only people not thrilled are land interests and the forest service. the entire state and state gov have risen up against this. the horses have been there since 1930 possibly longer. the horses are a group of maybe 100 and are not overpopulating soon. they were claimed by the tribe when the blm was intrusted to deal with wild horses, that's the only reason they are not blm protected. also the forest serves favors ranchers out here. it dose not matter where we have gon in this state, every national part area we visit has cows and cow crap EVERYWHERE! even places that are not "supposed" to have cows have cows. the only place i have yet to see cows is the salt river.

The forest serves is also trying to sell off some of the land as well. i'm not a fan of the forest serves. any place that cares more about humanizing land to make profit then preserving it is not out for the interests of the land or animals.

· Super Moderator
11,149 Posts
also the forest serves favors ranchers out here.
That is a common perception. It kind of drives a wedge between groups that otherwise have quite a bit in common. In this case: the interest of horses well being.

The government, all agencies do not favor the ranchers, though. Although ranchers only have cattle on government lease land for a few weeks a year, it is something they depend on. But they can't count on it.

Government agencies are not dependable. Not for horse enthusiasts. Not for ranchers. Not for recreational users of public land. Not for business owners.

· Registered
5,541 Posts
When I go for a visit to Big Bend I expect that I may encounter a mountain lion, a rattler or any number of types of wild life both benign and dangerous. I am choosing to enter their world, they are not entering mine.

To actively seek nature and then complain when it is subsequently encountered is fickle in the least. If we were to remove all dangers /inconveniences from nature would it be worthy of seeking?

· Registered
583 Posts
A bit of interesting info I came across today. I had no idea about these horses!

This came from the American Wild Horse Preservation Campaign:

The Salt River ‪#‎wildhorses‬ are some of the most unique wild horse populations in the world. While horses don't typically hang out in water much less submerge their heads beneath the surface, the Salt River horses actually snorkel for eel grass as a nutritious food source. And, since it is essential to be comfortable around the river, babies learn within a week of life how to swim and, later on, are taught how to "snorkel."

This, along with a picture of one of the horses from the Salt River Wild Horse Management Group FB page:

I eat river eel grass for breakfast, dry grasses for lunch and acacia beans for dinner. I spread the seeds, fertilize the soil and help prevent forest fires. I harm no one and cost no one a dime. I live in harmony with the Eco-system. I am kind to all creatures and a little afraid of men. I am a good girl. I love my family and my freedom. My ancestors suffered greatly at the hands of man, but I am still here. I promise I’ll stay out of the way, if you let me stay wild and free.

· Registered
5,354 Posts
there have been no horse people related incidents. and the horses have been there at least since 1930. the only thing that has happened is that some horses have been hit by speeders on the road. so have deer, coyotes, elk, javelina, rabbits and snakes. the horses are healthy. when their numbers grow to big, they starve, some die and the issues has fixed itself. they are a self correcting population. when they die they feed local wildlife. they help the environment. there is nothing else in the area that eats the river grass. they are fitting themselves into a place where no other local animal will and therefore helping the environment.

this is a vid millions have seen. a stallion saving a filly from drowning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SXbVw4qojg

This is why people go to the salt river. to see this. note how the horses are not in the way and how they dont panic seeing people. also you cant get closer than that to them or they will simply walk further away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8ZeRtztq5g

And if you check the news you can see how the entire state feels about our salt river horses, how our congressmen/women, our governor, state representatives and people feels about this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.