The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello horse lover,

My girlfriend has a horse and few days ago something popped up between the legs. It Is like round and a little bit firm and it becomes softer by time. Trainers say it Is from stirrup iron. It hard been a week now.

What do you guys think? Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
It is probably from an ill-fitting girth or cinch. Stirrup irons don't touch there. Don't use that girth again. Look for one that is cut out in that place, ride bareback, or not at all, until healed.

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
Gall from an ill fitting girth or cinch. It could abcess. I'd not use that one again and have someone check fit and adjust for proper snugness with any new one. Irons wouldn't run there and if they do then something is really wrong. You'll also want to be extra careful until that heals. It may not go away completely and then you'll need to really be aware of fit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is probably from an ill-fitting girth or cinch. Stirrup irons don't touch there. Don't use that girth again. Look for one that is cut out in that place, ride bareback, or not at all, until healed.

Thank you very much. Yeah I made a mistake when i Said it may be stirrup Irina.
It Is just weird that this appeared suddenly and she Had this girth for a long time

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gall from an ill fitting girth or cinch. It could abcess. I'd not use that one again and have someone check fit and adjust for proper snugness with any new one. Irons wouldn't run there and if they do then something is really wrong. You'll also want to be extra careful until that heals. It may not go away completely and then you'll need to really be aware of fit.
Thank you very much. Yeah I made a mistake when i Said it may be stirrup Irina.
It Is just weird that this appeared suddenly and she Had this girth for a long time

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
Could be the girth needs a good wash or it's getting worn out or the horse has gained or lost weight. Once it heals and your girlfriend can start using the saddle again tell her to stretch the horse's front legs after the final girth tightening. I do this by asking the horse to pick up a foot, get a hold just above the knee and then pulling leg forward and up. Horse may be a little resistant the first couple of times but once they figure out what you're up to they cooperate willingly and it becomes a part of the tacking up routine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts