The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as most of you know that are on here often I got Sonny about a month and a half ago. He was in a not so nice field and only living in the grass there. He hadn't had his feet done in two years and were over grown and starting to splay in the back. So my farrier came out yesterday and she said his feet are super soft. She was cutting through them like butter.
He had an abcess in his right front when I got him. He just went through a horrible abcsess in his left hind and while she was there she dug out a small one on his left front. It was really small probably the size of a pin head and she got all the puss out. It was the just begining of one so no need to soak him or anything.
Despite being on only grass he wasn't that underweight probably about 75-50 pounds and he is already putting it on. Though he wasn't on any grain so I am having to bring him up slowly on it.
The paddock he is in right now is mostly dry except one area and and that is right outside the stall. It is pretty mucky from all the rain we have been getting lately, but both he and my mini have a dry path around it they use to get to the dry paddack. And I go in every other day and throw out rocks and sticks and anything that might be damaging.
For feed he is on:
1 1/2 cups of Poulin Mills 11:8 pelleted (I thought it was 12:8 but its not :evil:) 2 times a day
1 cup of plain rolled oats 2 times a day
3/4 cup of farriers formula double strenght 1 time a day
1/4 corn oil 2 times a day
2 large flakes of hay 2x a day (about 20-25 pounds per feeding
And he has full acsess to a mineral block.
And of course plenty of water

He is gaining weight on this and like I said I can only bring him up so fast where he never had grain before I am uping his grain about 1/4 cup every week. I am going to leave the oats at a cup I think, because those tend to give horses lots of energy and he is only 6 and doesn't need anymore energy than he has lol. And I refuse to feed sweet feed because its just like giving them a bowl of suger.
I am just pretty concerned about his nutrients and if he is getting enough to help out his feet. Is there anything I can give him more to help out his feed or change anything?
Here is a few links to the things that I am giving him.
DECADE® ENDURANCE SPORT 11:8™ | Equine | Poulin Grain - Dairy, Equine, Pet, And Livestock Feeds This is his grain
Rolled Oats | Equine | Poulin Grain - Dairy, Equine, Pet, And Livestock Feeds his oats
https://www.smartpakequine.com/farr...zclhonmurYaeKoWacbk0U2y88v2QNMRqIKhoC76zw_wcB
Farrier's Formula double strength (we just started this on sunday its $$$ and I had to get the money first)
American Stockman Big 6® Trace Mineral Salt Block, 50 lb. - Tractor Supply Co.
And that is the mineral block he is on. And of course corn oil but I just get the store brand.
The picture is when I first bought him and he has already gained weight. You can still see his ribs but he is filling out in other areas and his ribs are begining to be covered.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
3 cups of the Poulin grain is likely not meeting his nutritional requirements, you'd either need to increase the amount fed or switch to a ration balancer (1-2 pounds a day.) Ration balancers cost more up front but you wind up saving money in the long run as you feed far less than other feeds. (Do you know how much the Poulin weighs per cup? and the feeding rates?)

That amount of oats won't hurt, or do much either, so no comment there. 1 cup of oats is 3 oz so 2 cups is 6 oz.

The Farriers Formula double strength is fed at 1/2 cup per 1000 pounds. So you may be feeding more than you need to at 3/4 of a cup.

For the corn oil, if you have access to a Sam's Club, BJ's, or Costco, you can get large amounts of the oil for less.

All in all not too bad, but you could maybe cut the Poulin and add a RB to get all the nutrients needed.

·
Banned
795 Posts
I´m one of the few oat lovers on this site but I think I should tell you that although rolled oats are the best, smoothest digestable feed you can give it has 1 back-side....like all fresh Foods once crushed it quickly looses it´s vitimin content! Rolled Oats should be feed with in a week. The best is whole as it will hold it´s nutritional value indefinatly, the whole oats can tell you if your horse is having teeth problems by dribbleing or too many whole seeds comming out the South end.

Feeds should measured out in "weights". 1lb. of whole oats can be ½lb. of rolled oats.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He will be on more grain, I just haven't got him up there yet. Really trying to avoid colic or founder both of which scare me to death so trying to take it nice and easy on his tummy with adding the grain. I am not sure on the weight I can try to weight it when I get home and see. Just thinking from feeling it a full cup is probably about 8oz or so so he is getting about 1 1/2 pounds of grain per day. So not much when you look at it. My horse Gizmo that was about the same size at him was on 2 quarts twice a day. So I imagine he will be about the same when I get there. You think I should be giving him ration balancer as well and then take him off when I get him up to the right amount of grain he should be on?
The Farrier's Formula on the back says for 1500 pounds is 3/4 he is just shy of that. Doesn't look in the picture but he is a big boy. We taped him at 1350 so with some weight gain and muscle build up he is going to be huge. He taped at 15.3 hands as well. But I could probably cut some of that too, I wouldn't mind saving the $$$ lol.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I´m one of the few oat lovers on this site but I think I should tell you that although rolled oats are the best, smoothest digestable feed you can give it has 1 back-side....like all fresh Foods once crushed it quickly looses it´s vitimin content! Rolled Oats should be feed with in a week. The best is whole as it will hold it´s nutritional value indefinatly, the whole oats can tell you if your horse is having teeth problems by dribbleing or too many whole seeds comming out the South end.

Feeds should measured out in "weights". 1lb. of whole oats can be ½lb. of rolled oats.

I am not sure as that my feed store sells whole oats. Or not. I can find out and see. I know they have sweet oats too, but I wold like to stay away from sweet feed. I also have to be super careful because I am allergic to just about all this stuff. Wheat, Gluten, barley and rye, But if I wear gloves and don't touch it I think I will be ok.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I would not have pegged him for that weight! He holds it well, that's for sure. In that case he's definitely doing well on the FF.

The Equi-Pro might work better, especially if you're using oats. And since it said you can mix it with bulk grains that would go better with your feeding plan.

Another thing on the oats, whole oats tend to be cheaper than processed oats, and will save you some money in the long run. So long as he can chew them and digest them well. But you will want to watch him, as you said for colic and founder, just to be safe.

Wow, that's some very commonly used stuff to be allergic too. Yup, gloves are a must at that rate.

All in all that's not a bad feed plan. :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
I would just give it some time to get up to the recommended daily dose of the Poulin grain and then he should have all the nutrients he needs. Adding to much without first testing your hay and then calculating exactly what he gets for each vitamin and mineral etc could result in toxicity or expensive manure. (Edit to say: I meant adding to many different items, especially when two of those are items like the complete feed and the ration balancer where both are there to give the horse ALL the vitamins and minerals he SHOULD need)

The purpose of a complete feed is to give the horse a balanced diet, but the only way to have that be effective that is to feed the recommended amounts as they are based on the proportions of nutrients in the feed.

I prefer to keep it simple, leave him where he is until you've got the Poulin feed up to the recommended daily amounts, then if he continues to gain weight beyond what is healthy, I would think about removing the oats, oil, and then if he's still gaining or looking too plump, consider switching to a ration balancer.

I do have a question about the hay though, are you weighing those flakes? I ask because most of my flakes are between 3 and 5 lbs. Your numbers indicate that your flakes are 10 - 12 lbs each. Unless you meant that he is getting 20-25lbs per day, and not per feeding, in which case I would up it a bit and add a third feeding if possible.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do have a question about the hay though, are you weighing those flakes? I ask because most of my flakes are between 3 and 5 lbs. Your numbers indicate that your flakes are 10 - 12 lbs each. Unless you meant that he is getting 20-25lbs per day, and not per feeding, in which case I would up it a bit and add a third feeding if possible.
This should be the right weight and that is per feeding. My hay guy likes his bales huge! He got a new bailer and it throws out huge hay bales and they are flipping heavy! I can barely pick them up and I am used to tossing and thowing hay bails down hallways. I have to rip a flake apart to feed my mini horse otherwise she would be rolling away! lol

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
If that's the pic of "skinny Sonny" I am concerned about his current weight. I'd love to see a better and recent picture, especially since you're still upping him. I would cut out the oats and up the grain. If he needs it, which I'm thinking he may not, otherwise get a nice ration balancer instead.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah its not the greatest picture of how thin he is I will see if I can get a better older picture and a new picture

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Top picture is when I first got him second picture is about 2 weeks ago and I still wasn't liking the improvement so I put him on the corn oil, starting on Saturday. So I will take another picture of him today if its not raining and see what you guys think.

Also second pictures was after a bath hence why he is darker.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Sorry that's really not any better...

I do see improvement from the first picture but it doesn't look to me like he needs any more beyond that.

(I see a slightly thin horse and then a horse at a good weight, not a rescue case- at least as far as weight is concerned)

·
Banned
795 Posts
I am not sure as that my feed store sells whole oats. Or not. I can find out and see. I know they have sweet oats too, but I wold like to stay away from sweet feed. I also have to be super careful because I am allergic to just about all this stuff. Wheat, Gluten, barley and rye, But if I wear gloves and don't touch it I think I will be ok.
I´v never Heard of Sweet Oats, can it be the same as Black Oats?

A horse has too eat quite a bit of oats to colic. He is already use too it so I would not worry about it. The quastion is "does he need more gain?" he´s getting a lot of differant stuff as well.

I don´t like a lot of mixing, if the horse get´s sick then it´s hard to figure out what is causing it if I suspect it is feed related.....KIS! Keep It Simple:
Hay as the base feed. (most horse do fine on just hay).
Oat´s when needed. (breeding stock, Young stock and working horses when there is not enough nutrition in the base feed hay.)
A vitimin supplement (as vitimins are the hardest to keep in food. The old saying when I was growing up "Take your Vitimins".)
On the vitimin front stable horses with limited grazing may need such vitimin supplement but horse on a rich varied forage will build up the necessary vitimins they need too get them through the Winter until the new growth comes in.
And the mineral block.
A good deworming plan and keeping the teeth in shape.
And regular visit from the shoer.

These simple measures and excersize should keep you horse healthy.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes he isn't super thin maybe 50 pounds to go now. Mostly just muscle building, but we haven't been able to ride with that huge abscess. His hooves are very weak. The farrier said she was cutting through them like butter. She said normally she has to put some effort into it but with him she didn't have to.
So I am really more concerned about him getting the nutrients for that than weight gain right now, because he is not super thin only a little underweight. I will try to get more pictures when I get home of him. Normally all I get is a nose in the camera. He is very "mommy" oriented. So its hard to get a good picture of his standing correctly and not in my face. lol

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I´v never Heard of Sweet Oats, can it be the same as Black Oats?

A horse has too eat quite a bit of oats to colic. He is already use too it so I would not worry about it. The quastion is "does he need more gain?" he´s getting a lot of differant stuff as well.

I don´t like a lot of mixing, if the horse get´s sick then it´s hard to figure out what is causing it if I suspect it is feed related.....KIS! Keep It Simple:
Hay as the base feed. (most horse do fine on just hay).
Oat´s when needed. (breeding stock, Young stock and working horses when there is not enough nutrition in the base feed hay.)
A vitimin supplement (as vitimins are the hardest to keep in food. The old saying when I was growing up "Take your Vitimins".)
On the vitimin front stable horses with limited grazing may need such vitimin supplement but horse on a rich varied forage will build up the necessary vitimins they need too get them through the Winter until the new growth comes in.
And the mineral block.
A good deworming plan and keeping the teeth in shape.
And regular visit from the shoer.

These simple measures and excersize should keep you horse healthy.
I am not sure. When I went in I told then I needed a bag of rolled oats and they asked me if I wanted sweet oats or plain oats and I told her plain, as I don't like to give sweet feed.

I have no idea if he had any wormer previously before I got him. He had basically sat in a field for 2 years so I have him Zimmerctin Gold to try to flush anything out that would be in there and now he is on a regular eight week rotation.
The farrier came out yesterday and gave him a trim. He is now getting back to normal so she put him out for 6 weeks. And it is a possiblility he may need shoes. Though I prefer to go barefoot, if his feet remain soft despite being getting the proper nutrients he will be shod.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I use Poulin feeds.

Not sure what you mean by 11:8. They have no feed named that. The Endurance Sport 11:8?

Equine | Poulin Grain - Dairy, Equine, Pet, And Livestock Feeds

That's their current line of horse feeds.

They have 2 distinct lines. The decade line cheaper than the Equi-Pro.

I would just up his hay and continue as you are doing for now.
I'd weigh the flakes now and then. It's a rare baler that holds it's tension constantly and makes them all the same size. It can also vary because of growing and drying conditions.

You could probably safely up his food a half a measuring cup a week. Winter is on the way.

My horses are all easy keepers. I use a mix of Equi-Pro MVP, their ration balancer, their hay stretcher and some alfalfa pellets. My walker needs a few more calories going on than the other 2 so I mix hers with Poulins Carb Safe and a very scientific small cat food can of rice bran. Hay or grass in season is free choice. The hay stretcher wouldn't be necessary except that it seems to keep one fat old pony from gorging on green grass.

Hint...if there is more than one Poulin dealer nearby check prices. Both my Poulin dealers are a bit of a hike for me but I got paying attention to my feed bill one day and noticed one was over $2 cheaper a bag for the same items. They must give the dealers a range they can charge or something. The expensive place was 34 miles from my house, the cheaper one 36 miles. I'll drive 2 more miles and have money for an ice cream on the way home.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I went back and read that all again. You got it covered. Just do any feed changes slow.

I'd get some slow feed nets and keep hay in front of him all the time.

The thrush problem will likely disappear with good trimming and clean living.

Very pretty boy.

I wouldn't even use corn oil. Just the cheap store brand veggie oil. Not sure I'd even bother really. What I mostly see changes that will come with a little work now. He doesn't need much for weight.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I use Poulin feeds.

Not sure what you mean by 11:8. They have no feed named that. The Endurance Sport 11:8?

Equine | Poulin Grain - Dairy, Equine, Pet, And Livestock Feeds

That's their current line of horse feeds.

They have 2 distinct lines. The decade line cheaper than the Equi-Pro.

I would just up his hay and continue as you are doing for now.
I'd weigh the flakes now and then. It's a rare baler that holds it's tension constantly and makes them all the same size. It can also vary because of growing and drying conditions.

You could probably safely up his food a half a measuring cup a week. Winter is on the way.

My horses are all easy keepers. I use a mix of Equi-Pro MVP, their ration balancer, their hay stretcher and some alfalfa pellets. My walker needs a few more calories going on than the other 2 so I mix hers with Poulins Carb Safe and a very scientific small cat food can of rice bran. Hay or grass in season is free choice. The hay stretcher wouldn't be necessary except that it seems to keep one fat old pony from gorging on green grass.

Hint...if there is more than one Poulin dealer nearby check prices. Both my Poulin dealers are a bit of a hike for me but I got paying attention to my feed bill one day and noticed one was over $2 cheaper a bag for the same items. They must give the dealers a range they can charge or something. The expensive place was 34 miles from my house, the cheaper one 36 miles. I'll drive 2 more miles and have money for an ice cream on the way home.
That is it. I took some more pictures of him tonight. He is starting to fill in really good. :D
Yes! I have noticed that. It is more expensive at one store than the other. I was paying 13 something a bag at the local horse feed supply store. But I went to another store the other day and it was over 14 dollars.
I had to throw in a picture of his butt. He his such a handsome man.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.