The Horse Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Seriously do not know why my pictures keep posting upside down! I will try to see if I can post them again

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
OK from those pics I agree he is still slightly underweight.

Did your farrier recommend anything for the feet? You're already feeding a supplement.. what about a foot toughener or something? I know those are mostly for the soles, but that's a start.

He is very cute :)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Nope nothing like that, but we got caught at the begining of a thunderstorm when she was done. She said that the thrush off keep using to clear up his thrush and that the Farrier's Formula is really really good because its is one of the only one that is sceintificaly proven to work.
Thanks! I love him bunches he is a big goofball but he is so calm and a fast learner and he is only six so I hope to have him for a very very long time. I just lost my horse in March and have been searching for one with a similair personality. I drove 3 hours and 45 minuts with the trailer to go look at him and pretty much fell in love at first sight.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
He sounds lovely!

I would try a hoof toughener.. no reason not to. I would give him some more time (say til his next trim) and see if there's any improvement. I wouldn't worry too much though.

His area looks nice and dry though not very hard.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yeah there is just one muddy spot but the horses made a path around it. But I am going to have my uncle come up with his skidsteer and shovel up all the mud with it and get it back down to the sand I had put in. The water runs right through the sand and stays very dry. The other part of the pasture is nice and dray and I go in every other day and pick out rocks and sticks and such. And I let them out everyday when I get home for about an hour to eat some more grass because they chowed down on the stuff in their pasture and there is like nothing left and little Dixie gets to eating it just as soon as the grass starts popping up, lol.
I have thought about a hardner and that I am going to invest in that too. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Me either. I found Keratex and its has really good reviews on Horse.com and won a bunch of awards for product of the year. So I asked my farrier about it before I buy. I haven't heard back from her yet. But I will see what she says and go from there.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Me either. I found Keratex and its has really good reviews on Horse.com and won a bunch of awards for product of the year. So I asked my farrier about it before I buy. I haven't heard back from her yet. But I will see what she says and go from there.
Keratex does work well. I've seen it used a lot around here. It's always damp and their hardening product seems to help with soft hooves quite a bit. I've seen it used on the soles also. I've also seen TuffStuff used frequently for soft hooves/ soles.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I talked to my farrier and she highly suggested Keratex. She said the only down it its a little pricey, but really its worth it, if it helps his feet.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Yup, the price can trip some people up on the Keratex, but it really is a good product for hooves. :)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I don't think its all that bad. I just paid 16 dollars for a tiny bottle of thrush off a week ago and its already almost gone.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts