The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys,

i have started riding after a pause of about 30 odd years. While i was doing the trot for the last one month everything was fine. Today i began to canter and my horse was tossing me a little high in the seat and i wasnt kind of rolling in the saddle as i would have liked to. Now my bums are sore and while i was taking a shower i felt a burning sensation. my breeches are perfect in size and a tight fit but i don't understand how i got hurt.

call anyone please help?

thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
I believe this is a conditioning thing. I feel the same type of soreness from my bicycle after laying out all winter. After a few rides, I'm back in condition and all parts working in harmony. I feel similarly if I'm not riding my horse as much and I would like. Stiff joints and achy parts; it's just part of riding.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe this is a conditioning thing. I feel the same type of soreness from my bicycle after laying out all winter. After a few rides, I'm back in condition and all parts working in harmony. I feel similarly if I'm not riding my horse as much and I would like. Stiff joints and achy parts; it's just part of riding.
thanks for tour reply.
its not a pain from "stiff joints or achy prts". while rubbing my buttocks on the saddle in a canter, my skin peeled off and its burning there. I've had the same problem about ten years ago when i began riding after many years. That time i was wearing a pair of jeans, not breeches and my hips were badly bruised after 1-2 rides and i couldnt ride for many days till it got better. its not the bones/muscles but the burning from peeled skin. i want to know what is creating this, my sitting position, breeches or something else. did you get me?

·
Premium Member
9,668 Posts
Ouch. But yeah, riding will make you sore in a lot of different ways! However, the peeled skin is something you'll want to avoid, obviously! It has never happened to me, but it sounds painful. I had a friend who had a lot of pain in her crotch, but it was more like bruising. Very slightly changing the angle of her pelvis helped her.

Options are to pad the saddle or pad your bum until you get the hang of the canter. There are saddle covers made of sheepskin and other, similar type materials which can help, but since I assume you're taking lessons and don't have your own saddle, you'd have to ask if this is ok. The other option is to pad yourself. Consider various different materials that will protect your skin. Silky smooth underwear might help your skin slide with less friction than cotton underwear, you may have to wear layers, you may have to buy breeches made of a different material too. This may require some trial and error.

Some ride the canter in a half seat first, until they can comfortably sit it. Again, if you are taking lessons (which you should), that may not be an option, but if you're just riding on your own, you might do that for a while.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
many thanks for your response. i cant change the saddle as i dont own one and go to a riding school. i will definitely try padding up and changing my seat or try riding half seat although i'll ask my trainer how its done. what if i wear just the breeches sans underwear? would that help?

·
Premium Member
9,668 Posts
many thanks for your response. i cant change the saddle as i dont own one and go to a riding school. i will definitely try padding up and changing my seat or try riding half seat although i'll ask my trainer how its done. what if i wear just the breeches sans underwear? would that help?
No, I do not recommend going without underwear. You could end up feeling much worse after - I have read accounts from people who did this and regretted it deeply. I would probably opt for something very thin, like silk or satin, with perhaps another layer. That way the layers rub against each other rather than up against your skin. Unfortunately, you won't know until you try. What types of breeches are you wearing? Experimenting with different types might help too.

Hopefully others have had this problem and found a solution...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok.

My breeches are from Decathlon and are made from cotton, that could be a possible reason.

changing breeches, padding or changing underwear could help. will have to try them.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I would start with trying out different underwear. If you wear cotton ones and sweat, they can rub badly. A moisture wicking fabric (think underwear for running and such) may make all the difference. Adding another layer (e.g., pantyhose) between you and the breeches may also help.
A generous layer of body glide applied before the lesson in the vulnerable area may help too!

·
Super Moderator
27,469 Posts
It may be your panties chafing. Try cotton drawers or the no seam ones that don't have any elastic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, I do not recommend going without underwear. You could end up feeling much worse after - I have read accounts from people who did this and regretted it deeply. I would probably opt for something very thin, like silk or satin, with perhaps another layer. That way the layers rub against each other rather than up against your skin. Unfortunately, you won't know until you try. What types of breeches are you wearing? Experimenting with different types might help too.

Hopefully others have had this problem and found a solution...
if i go for a change in underwear which material should it be? lycra/spandex/
I would start with trying out different underwear. If you wear cotton ones and sweat, they can rub badly. A moisture wicking fabric (think underwear for running and such) may make all the difference. Adding another layer (e.g., pantyhose) between you and the breeches may also help.
A generous layer of body glide applied before the lesson in the vulnerable area may help too!
i talked to a tack shop guy and he told me he has breeches made of "Dri Fit" fabric but it was very expensive. So i have decided to buy a pair of trunks of the same fabric and try it out. I wont try any layer just yet because it might curl up.
Will update how it goes.
thanks for your reaponse.

I am a man, no pantyhose :)

Nike Dri-FIT Technology is an innovative polyester fabric designed to help keep you dry so you can more comfortably work harder for longer

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I would try a lycra/spandex blend. Something that will stay close to your skin and allow for more "slide".

I have heard great things about the Monkey Butt Powder!
fro ok thanks. i'm going to buy this

Skin Elements Anti Chafing Cream | Avoids Chafing, Blisters & Rashes from Sports & Fitness Activities | 300 ml (Pack of 20 Sachets) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07CWV2R8H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_EA6777DR78YP12XMJC0W?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

and i've bought a pair of Jockey trunks

Jockey Men's Ultra Soft Trunk (IC28_True Navy_L) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B071DXDNQM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_VVJ15YFH2XPAFEVJ97M0

hope this works. many thanks for your suggestions.
will report the results 👍

·
Super Moderator
16,874 Posts
I think its called callous skin and you lack it at that spot since only just returning to ride.
Equate this to a blister, popped and peeled all in a short span of time.
Irritation creates friction, creates all of what you describe.
Riding underwear might also be a real value for you too...
Different pattern than bicycle riding and padding discreet in areas needed but look at that link above and notice the no seams construction... There are many brands and styles on the market today...some guesses on what would be most comfortable for your specific anatomy as undies are no return allowed.
I would just ride it out, if you've already gone riding again you are well on your way to that callousing to begin of not large callous but skin toughened a bit..
Good luck.
🐴...

·
Super Moderator
16,874 Posts
You could try Preparation H cream as it is made for that region of the anatomy, anti-inflammatory...
This from the website on the product...
Use Preparation H Multi-Symptom Pain Relief Cream with aloe to tackle discomfort. The addition of praxmonine can help relieve pain, soreness and burning.
Would work for your needs....and should be available world-wide at most stores.
🐴....

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
Yes, I would try a lycra/spandex blend. Something that will stay close to your skin and allow for more "slide".

I have heard great things about the Monkey Butt Powder!
I love it. A Harley friend introduced me and I passed it on as a gag gift for Christmas. She just sent more and told me to use it before I gave it away. The brother that got the gag gift has a Harley and loves it too. I use it more on long rides.

@EquestrianRookie
You would have talc or cornstarch though and ID bet you could find calamine powder though the lotion works well. Just let it dry and layer powder over it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Sounds painful - I haven’t had that but my fingers often chafe at the beginning of summer when I start riding more frequently and without gloves. Now that your skin has chafed, use creams and let that heal - avoid cantering until it has as it will only get worse. Your skin needs to heal and then will toughen up over time.

My husband found riding most comfortable with tight fitting underwear, then a pair of padded bicycle shorts and then tight fitting pants. It was trial and error to get him there but now he’s quite comfortable riding - maybe try bicycle shorts under the breeches.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Hi Rookie
I apologize for not reading all of the way thru.
Motorcyclists call this syndrome "Monkey Butt". You can condition/toughen the skin thru repeated abuse, but it might be a painful process.
The generally recommended solution is to wear some slick, tight-fitting spandex shorts next to the skin.
Meanwhile, look for a product called "Mole-skin", and apply it carefully to protect the damaged area.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Assistant trainer here riding 8-9 horses a day. Yes. Commando works great. A week into this job and I ditched the underwear. With some caveats.
1. Riding tights not breeches. Get the spandexy kind with the silicone grips not the suede if you want full seats.
2. Crotch gussets.
3. Talcom powder.

my recommendations for riding tights are
-Free Ride (pm me and I'll send you my buddy's discount code)
-Esprit Equestrian
-Goode Rider
-also plain ol running leggings work great- but no grip there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts