The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does he look off? we think it could be tender and I have shoes going to be put on Thursday the 27th :)

·
Registered
668 Posts
He looks off in the back legs to me. Get some serious exams done, as pinpointing stifle vs hock vs pelvic etc injuries is a real task. To my eye it looks mechanical, not "ouchy" in the feet, though I only watched him move for a few seconds. My immediate guess would be a stifle injury.

ETA: Particularly take note of how he drags his right hind foot. Big indicator of a stifle injury to me. I would not ride him until you get this checked.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Actually, watching the video further, it looks like it could even be some kind of suspensory issue. He looks like he drags the leg behind but very deliberately (at the trot) picks his right hind up and puts it down rather than how the other one is sort of gliding along with the motion, if that makes sense. Like he has a bungee cord in his right leg that doesn't stretch long enough for him to bring his leg all the way under himself or behind him. Have you checked his legs/tendons for heat/swelling/etc?

ETA: LOL, the more I watch, the more I change my mind. I think it's really his left hind. He's short striding. Please don't take my word for it but rather have a vet come check him out. As I said, stifle/leg/pelvic injuries seem to be the hardest to pinpoint.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes there is no heat or swelling and Ive had a vet examine him last year for the same thing and he said front left but couldn't determine why gave him a few months off and he was fine now hes looking off again :(...

·
Registered
668 Posts
I definitely think it's his back legs, and if there is no heat/swelling/obvious bowed tendons, it could be in his pelvic area/back. I am curious though if it might be his hock. How old is he?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He is 13yrs old, someone did say his white leg could cause him to look lame because is stands out but Ive been getting comments from people about it so Im looking further into it

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it could be his back because its rather short. and I have a hard time fitting saddles the one I have now seems good he also pops his tail up a little when riding

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I definitely think it's his back legs, and if there is no heat/swelling/obvious bowed tendons, it could be in his pelvic area/back. I am curious though if it might be his hock. How old is he?
thanks so much I found slight sweeling in his hind fetlock joint which my BO said looks like windpuffs. If you can give any advice on how to handle that it would be greatly appreciated :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.