The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've put my horse out on spell over Christmas, he's only going to be there till early jan.

But my question is, will he maintain everything he's learnt this year? Or should I try and get out there once a week and ride him to make sure he does?

If anyone remembers I struggled with with right canter lead, had sent him off to a trainer and we had a good few months no more confusion.

But with Christmas here, me going away for a few days, it was just easier to have him go out on spell.

Another question also, when I bring him back, should I go into working him like 3 days a week? But only for 20 mins or so? Or should we start out at 1 day a week and increase?

Start with lunging? Or straight into riding?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got a clinic first up on natural horsemanship ship so I'm hoping if he wants to do anything to silly the instructor will be there to help :)

Thanks for the response :) it puts my mind at ease a little bit, knowing he should remember, bit if he doesn't I might just send him off to the lady I sent him to before for a week for a refresher :)

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Oops! I read the title and thought "Gee, someone is trying to teach a horse to spell." My bad.

Horses do not forget anything that they have actually been taught. Many times we have put a few rides on a horse and got busy and had to turn them out. Some were turned out for a year or more. They came back and had not lost a bit of it.

When we bring one in like that, we usually just saddle them up and let them stand around for a full day. We just snug the saddle up and do not tighten it up very much. The next day, we mess with them in the round pen a little and saddle them up again. The third day we just start riding them like they had never had a day off. Almost all of them just rode off like they did before we turned them out.

The problem comes when people ride a horse hard and do what we call 'pull saddles and wet saddle blankets off of them'. If a horse has just been ridden hard, they come completely 'un-trained' when they get a chance to rest up.

This is not because they forgot anything. It is because they were just ridden hard but really not taught how to do things they were forced into doing.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'm glad you've said that, he wasn't ridden hard before he went out, he was practicaly on a break already.
Stresses of work and what not, he's now just been put out in a bigger paddock with friends.

I'll keep that in mind as well, just saddling him up for the first day and then playing around with him the next.

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
^Glad I wasn't the only silly on the spelling note, Cherie!

Further to Cherie's info, I'd say it's *because* they don't forget that they may come back 'feral' after a break. If they've only learned that dealing with humans & being ridden is just unpleasant 'Work'.... & too often scary/painful to boot, anything but a very submissive personality may well try to 'forget' how to be 'obedient', but if they've been taught well, to enjoy their 'work' & the handler has *earned* their 'respect' as a good leader, they should be keen to work whenever asked.

If they haven't learned a specific behaviour very well before a break however, they may need a bit of a 'refresher' before going on with training from where you left off though. Generally takes very little tho.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.