The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Arabian mare has a split mane. It falls down to the right and almost perfectly half way down her crest, it falls down to the left.

I've heard several things from different horse people:
-Someone told me this means my horse is quirky or unbalanced.
-Some told me this means my horse IS balanced (she's not- she is more balanced/feels softer going right than going left, also has problems picking up her left lead).
-And someone told me this doesn't mean anything.

When I first got her, I tried to train her mane to fall to the right by braiding and brushing the mane in that direction for a few months... and it stayed! But, only for a few weeks. Then it was split once more. Now I just accept that it's just apart of her cute goofiness and that she's unique. :lol:

Anyone have any information on split manes and how they might affect horses? Does the unbalanced/balanced idea have any truth behind it or is it just an old wive's tale?

And does anyone else's horse have a split mane?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
My guy does! His splits in the middle, the bottom goes to the right, the top part goes to the left, and near his ears his mane goes on both sides. I've never heard about a split mane indicating anything, though for my horse in particular he's balanced and goes both ways evenly as most I've ever seen a horse do. Generally you can really tell a horse is left or right handed but with him you can't. I gave up trying to train it, I just braid it all on the right for shows. I can get it tight enough it stays for the show time in braids. I gave up on completely training it though, it was impossible, plus I think he's look cute with his crazy mane! Lol.

Reactions: Houston

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
I'm told it means an ambidextrous horse. Don't waste your energy trying to train it to one side or the other. Ain't gonna happen. Gave up after 5 years of trying. Luckily we braid for eventing.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My belgian has a split mane and he has some serious balance issues, he can only w/t and that's even dangerous sometimes. However I don't think his balance problems stem from his hairstyle :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.