The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so today we got about a foot and a half of snow. My horse neytiri who is usually very calm is very very edgy today! I feel like it's from the snow.... Is this normal? She is trotting along in n out of the shelter, won't even stay for me to pet her. Every noiseakes her jump. How can I get her to calm down? Or do I have to wait it out?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
You didn't have any snow before? If so, my guess is such: horse vision differs from ours greatly, and one of its' aspects is seeing large white&dark sections more vividly, with more contrast. Thus, anything a horse sees in the snow that is not white, seems darker, larger and stranger, therefore - scary. I've seen many horses get nervous, when they experience the first snow in season.

Oh, an she'll get used to it. Try to act calm and as usual around her, so that she has no reason to think that danger is really lurking somewhere.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We got snow but not nearly as much maybe an inch and she was ok, but no not when it's a foot n some inches. That makes sense tho. I will go out there n spend time with her so she knows everything is ok
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.